I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrapped Bass rods
Posted by: Branndon Prevost (---.rdns.afghan-wireless.com)
Date: December 29, 2018 01:00AM

Hello All,
Ive built a few conventional rod setups for bass fishing and have decided to give spiral wraps a go. Currently Im sitting in Afghanistan working so Im putting my wish list together. I have read many informative post on here about spiral wrapping but would like more specification or recommendations on guide ring material for braid in the 30-50 lb range as far as durability. Also I would like recommendations on the smallest butt guide diameter. Once again I am just looking for overall recommendations or past experience. Id like these rods to have multiple purpose due to Kayak throwing anywhere from Jig/frog/worm to shallow water cranks anywhere from 3/8-1/2 oz weight range on average. For guide placement I plan to set 0, 90, 180 and static to test place others. I would like to use 3mm on the runners. Here is what Ill be working with:

MHX MB843 and MB873
Lews: Pro Magnesium Speed Spool, Tournament Pro G Speed Spool ACB and BB Pro
SK2 reel seat with split grips Winn or Carbon Fiber

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrapped Bass rods
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 01:43AM

Braid doesn't hurt guides, the dirt and debris that collects on the braid is the problem. Any ceramic guide is impervious to braid and anything it will collect within reason, I've got rods that are 20+ years old that have had nothing but braid on them, 65 and 80 lb. usually. Same frame weight and ring styles you'll be using on much bigger fish.
Check out the KR concept for casting rods and use the info you find there for your spiral wrap. It's not as technical, or important as you might think as long as your 90 degree guide doesn't display any side loads on the guide throughout the rod's use.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2018 08:17AM

The 0 - 90 - 180 set up works well, but you could just as easily go to the Simple Spiral 0 - 180, and dispense with the 90 degree guide. This is what I use on all my crank bait trolling rods. Essentially you just set it up like a guides on top rod and once you have the stress distribution worked out, you just flip all the guides to 180, except for the butt guide.

If you find the line rubbing the blank lightly between the 0 and 180 guide, you can go back and install a 90 guide between those first two to keep the line off the blank, but in this case the 90 degree guide is not part of the regular guide spacing as it would be with the standard 0 - 90 - 180 spiral systems.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2018 10:59AM

Just pertaining to the all purpose use of the rods you propose building ....when I think jig / frog / worm rod, I think medium heavy power at the very least, with a fast or extra fast action. Not really the type of rod you'd want for crankbaits.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 01:16PM

Consider using a premium material tiptop, like SIC, as that is the guide that will groove first. I have had grooved tiptops, but never a grooved guide other than the tiptop. I like the Fuji casting setup, too. The 6 mm RV works fine.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: December 30, 2018 07:26PM

I’ve been messing around with a spiral wrap on a NFC Delta rod and I’ve noticed when I aligned the butt guide to 30 rather than at 0 I got better casting distance with less effort. I did the 0-60-120-180 wrap then set the level wind in the center, ran the line through the guides, and moved the butt guide until the line was centered in the guide ring. Seems to have less friction when the butt guide is off-centered.

To add to David’s point frogs, jigs, worms... anything with a straight shanked hook get a fast action rod while cranks or anything using trebles pick up a moderate action rod. The slow bend of a moderate rod helps keep treble hooks pinned in the fishes mouth while a fast action rod help drive the hook point in. A do all rod to me would be a 7’ medium heavy with a moderate fast action.

Date: December 31, 2018 12:17PM

Final spiral placement I’ll end up doing is 18-68-128-180.

Hope this might help.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 01, 2019 07:24PM

For you guys that have used spiral wrapped rods for bass fishing do you see any benefit from it.

Date: January 05, 2019 09:59AM

I have one spiral 3-8oz Swimbait rod and I’m currently building a chatterbait rod. I haven’t noticed any benefits from bass fishing with the Swimbait rod but my biggest bass to date is a 3lber on a A-rig. I do use the Swimbait rod for saltwater so I wanted that style wrap for hard fighting fish like king Mack’s. I don’t think Bass fight hard or long enough for spiral wrap to be that beneficial. The chatterbait rod I’m doing has a glass tip so my thought process for that one is to have the guides in a spinning rod placement (first guide at 5” from tip) to have more vibration and less guides overall. I was test casting the chatterbait rod and was getting very good distance with minimal effort using a 1/2oz crankbait. Im not sure if this is due to the spiral but I was happy with it.

Posted by: Branndon Prevost (---.rdns.afghan-wireless.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 07:11AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2019 10:30PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 10:38PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: John Shear (---.ams.hpecore.net)
Date: January 23, 2019 12:32PM

Paul Luechtefeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For you guys that have used spiral wrapped rods
> for bass fishing do you see any benefit from it.

Definitely when I accidentally get a good size musky on. :)

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster