I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walleye trolling blank recommendation
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 11:08AM

I have a friend looking for a walleye trolling rod, he uses a 2oz. bottom bouncing sinker with a worm harness most of the time. He's asked for a rod with a bit faster action for hooksets, not as slow as a downrigger blank or SPG glass blank. He liked a 7', MH mag bass blank I showed him, but I'm thinking that might be too fast of action, especially when trolling. Just wondered if there might be a recommendation for something in between, or if possibly a 7' M or MHM casting blank might suffice. Thank you for any help, appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walleye trolling blank recommendation
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 12:25PM

Mike,
Read and understood on the rod request.

However, I really wonder if the rod that he is asking for is really what will work for him.

The reason that I ask the question is that I have done a lot of walleye fishing and trolling for walleye. In a word, over many years of fishing, I have found over and over again, that with the typical bite of a walleye, a really fast action rod, when trolling is a really great way to lose fish.

Read the paragraph about rod selection:
[www.in-fisherman.com]

Take a look at this page, the comments at the end, and the specs on the rods being sold as trolling rods.

[www.fishusa.com]

I will say that my personal selection is a 7'6" or 8" MH - moderate action with a casting reel seat, and the rod guides wrapped with a spiral wrap. Lots and lots of fish in the boat with rods of this type.

The really important thing to remember about trolling for fish. In a very large % of the cases, the rod is in a rod holder while the trolling is going on. As a result, the action of the rod, the speed of the boat, etc. catches the fish with no intervention by the fisher person.

i.e. the rod needs to be such, that when the fish take the lure, worm or what ever - they set the hook themselves and the fisherman normally does not have the rod in his/her hand to set the hook. As a result, for this type of fishing, there needs to be enough "give" in the rod to allow this to happen.

An extra fast rod has a tip that moves quickly, but not very far On the other hand, a moderate action rod, has a tip that may be a touch stiffer than an extra fast tipped rod, but the tip can move much much further than an extra fast tipped rod before the fish encounters the heavier part of the rod.

-------------------
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Take a look at the specs on the eyecon trolling rod:
[stcroixrods.com]

Or, perhaps the St. Croix Premier - 7' heavy casting rod:
[stcroixrods.com]

Date: December 26, 2018 01:22PM

Thanks very much Roger, I agree in many ways! I shuddered a bit regarding a faster-actioned, graphite rod for trolling when a 2oz sinker was tossed into the equation, plus a mag-bass rated blank isn't very forgiving action-wise as you know. (Hopefully, I can talk some sense into him!)

I'm leaning toward a glass blank that can handle the load and still be forgiving on the bite. Thanks again

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 01:39PM

I would say that Roger is dead on with his advise. I troll allot for walleye using a bottom bounce 2 to 3 oz. You need the moderate heavy action to load, then set the hook while in the rod holder. Then the moderate action keeps the fish pinned with all the forward pressure bringing it to the boat.

I built 4(four) BB rods last winter after reading the same advise. One 7'6 the other 6'6 all with the spiral wrap for the side of the boat the rod is fish with. Each rod is a different color (CPR colored rods} so I can call out the color with a fish on. I added the shrink tubing on the handles for taking in and out of the rod holders. The system works very well and the rods preform better than I had hoped.
Good luck!

Date: December 26, 2018 02:26PM

Thanks Scott, appreciated. Definitely headed toward a moderate-action blank.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 07:19PM

I built 2 sets of 6 trolling rods last season. I made them for pulling boards and for pulling flies. We use 2 oz weights. I used NFC Hotshot blanks. Take a look at NFC Delta Hotshot rods. I have tried a bunch of different rods for this.These are the best action I have used. They are available 7'6" on up.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: Mike Canavan (38.145.150.---)
Date: December 27, 2018 07:25AM

Thanks Doug, appreciated - I will take a look!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 28, 2018 01:01PM

If you end up unhappy with what you got it's always quite easy to make a fast rod slower, but not a slow rod faster.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 28, 2018 01:02PM

If you end up unhappy with what you got it's always quite easy to make a fast rod slower, but not a slow rod faster.

Date: December 28, 2018 01:36PM

...Still looking around, wondered if a St. Croix 3C70MHM or MHX L842 would suit this application, (walleye trolling with 2oz. max bottom bouncer/ worm rig).

Thanks again

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2018 05:02PM

Mike,
I would think that the St. Croix 3C70MHM would be about ideal for this application.

Remember, the St. Croix casting rods can normally carry a much heavier load that for how they are rated. I would think that this rod would easily work with 2 and possibly up to 3 oz weights if you wished.

Good luck

Posted by: Mike Canavan (38.145.150.---)
Date: December 29, 2018 08:55AM

Thanks (again) Roger, I'm going with the St. Croix.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help - this is a great forum! Have a great and prosperous New Year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster