I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips for reaming fore ends straight?
Posted by: David Tenney (---.sub-174-196-140.myvzw.com)
Date: December 26, 2018 11:35AM

More often than I like when reaming short fore ends/grips I end up getting it off center and usually by the time I realize it it’s off and end up trashing it. Any tips to keep the hole centered. I am using the dream reamers. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips for reaming fore ends straight?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 12:07PM

Use a cordless drill, and let the grip slip in your hand while reaming. This slipping helps to keep things centered. Go in a little then ream from the other end of the grip. Don’t force it, that’s when you have trouble. Been there done that!
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 12:36PM

1-4 on Norman's comments, about letting the grip slip in your hand.

Because the "grip slipping" is an excellent technique to use when reaming. I always wear a pair of "cloth" gloves when "grip slipping reaming."

The cloth gloves will grip very well when needed, but by just loosening the grip just a bit, the grip can slowly slip and rotate much slower than the turning reamer.

Gloves - for example:

[www.fleetfarm.com]

I buy the gloves by the 6 pack or the 12 pack. When the gloves get dirty, or "filled with holes", I will pitch them and grab another glove or gloves.

-------------------
I also keep the white knit gloves on hand as well:

[www.fleetfarm.com]

One thing about the white gloves, is that it is easy to see if the gloves are getting dirty. Depending on what you are doing, you do some jobs that require you to have clean gloves for the best results.
Again, I buy these by the dozen as well.

------------------------
Do NOT use leather, pvc, pvc spotted, rubber, or any other glove that is sold to maintain a non slip grip. For this reaming job, you WANT the glove to slip if you loosen your grip.

-----------------------------------
p.s.
I also use these gloves for general purpose garage, mechanic and lawn work. They work well, are inexpensive, and when wear or dirt is experienced, can be changed one at a time or both at the same time.

Good luck

Posted by: David Tenney (---.sub-174-196-140.myvzw.com)
Date: December 26, 2018 01:18PM

Thanks guys. I have been maintaining a death grip on it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2018 02:12PM

As the bore enlarges, switch to the next larger size reamer. You should be twisting it, not push-pull motion. As long as you keep switching to a larger and larger reamer, the reamer will have no choice but to stay centered in the bore.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-141.myvzw.com)
Date: December 26, 2018 02:42PM

X3 on what Norman said and I just knew Roger had a tool for it. Also make sure as you go, pull the reamer out and look at both end holes, if they look uneven, then even them out by reaming to the more full side a little. It is better to pay close attention when just starting. Try to get them straight before you get to the full bore size. Otherwise they will be too loose. What Tom says is correct also, but if you start out crooked, it will not get any better.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 04:14PM

Be careful if you ream from the other end as mentioned above as you can create a taper in the wrong direction!

Posted by: Scott Grady (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2018 05:36PM

I would be very careful about wearing gloves when working on power tools.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2018 08:05PM

I found that running the drill in reverse works well.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-23.myvzw.com)
Date: December 27, 2018 05:00PM

We have a video on the subject here is a link:
[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2018 08:11AM

How come flexcoat doesn't sell those reamers...

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2019 05:24AM

They do. Might have to order some. Slick setup.

[flexcoat.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster