I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bait casting reels salt water and fresh water
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2018 12:35PM

Richard, I don't want you to take my advice in your other thread of using a magnetic cast control system to learn with as being something completely set in stone. It was just a suggestion that I routinely make when others are looking to get into bait casting gear for the first time. These are usually people that don't have the years of experience that you have. I know I learned on a magnetic cast control reel, and when I switched to a centrifugal cast control reel, there was a small learning curve involved. Back then the only way to adjust the system (on Shimano reels) was to actually take of the side plate of the reel, and reposition one of the "weights". Now, the majority of, if not all of the centrifugal systems have some kind of external way of making adjustments to the system.

Shimano, as much as I love their reels, leaves a lot to be desired in that category, versus some of the other companies offerings. It's an ergonomics kind of thing with Shimano. They're trying to keep the external adjustment wheel small and out of the way of the palming position of the hand, but in the process, the ease of external adjustability suffers.

Anyhow .... what I am saying is don't necessarily discount a reel with a strictly centrifugal braking system. You'd be missing out on a lot of excellent reels. The perfect scenario would be to find a friend or two that has baitcasters, and give their's a whirl. Then you could judge for yourself

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Richard White (204.111.141.---)
Date: December 29, 2018 01:03PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Richard, I don't want you to take my advice in
> your other thread of using a magnetic cast control
> system to learn with as being something completely
> set in stone. It was just a suggestion that I
> routinely make when others are looking to get into
> bait casting gear for the first time. These are
> usually people that don't have the years of
> experience that you have. I know I learned on a
> magnetic cast control reel, and when I switched to
> a centrifugal cast control reel, there was a small
> learning curve involved. Back then the only way to
> adjust the system (on Shimano reels) was to
> actually take of the side plate of the reel, and
> reposition one of the "weights". Now, the majority
> of, if not all of the centrifugal systems have
> some kind of external way of making adjustments to
> the system.
>
> Shimano, as much as I love their reels, leaves a
> lot to be desired in that category, versus some of
> the other companies offerings. It's an ergonomics
> kind of thing with Shimano. They're trying to keep
> the external adjustment wheel small and out of the
> way of the palming position of the hand, but in
> the process, the ease of external adjustability
> suffers.
>
> Anyhow .... what I am saying is don't necessarily
> discount a reel with a strictly centrifugal
> braking system. You'd be missing out on a lot of
> excellent reels. The perfect scenario would be to
> find a friend or two that has baitcasters, and
> give their's a whirl. Then you could judge for
> yourself

David I couldn’t agree more with. I’ve been fishing since I was 5 and now I’m 50. But all I ever used was spinning reels or the old push button reels. I’m hoping to expand my level of fishing and casting by trying out bait casters. And all the information ive gotten from this post has been awesome. I’ve been looking into all types of baitcasters. And I do have a few friends that use nothing but baitcasters and planning a trip to the try a few out. Some of the reels they have are Teca Daiwa lews abu Garcia Shimano and a few others. I’m looking forward to trying them all. With that being said most of them like a stiffer rod then me. So it should be a great day of learning.

Date: December 29, 2018 01:08PM

Well well going threw a box from my shed I ran across a brand new penn 330 G.T. forgot all about that reel. Now I’m not gonna try teaching myself to cast that monster. From the tag I put on it says trilene 40 lbs. I moved to Va in 04 so I guess this line might need replaced seeing how I never put it on a rod lol

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 02:30PM

Richard,
I suspect that the line may be just fine, since it was always on the reel in the dark box.

just pull 10 feeet of line off of the reel and do a breaking test. If it still breaks at 50-60 lbs, as I expect that it will just use it unless you want to put on new line.

Mono line can last a very long time as long as it is not exposed to the uv rays of the sun.

Date: December 29, 2018 03:03PM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Richard,
> I suspect that the line may be just fine, since it
> was always on the reel in the dark box.
>
> just pull 10 feeet of line off of the reel and do
> a breaking test. If it still breaks at 50-60 lbs,
> as I expect that it will just use it unless you
> want to put on new line.
>
> Mono line can last a very long time as long as it
> is not exposed to the uv rays of the sun.

Roger I was thinking it would fine. I did pull some and used my scale for weighting deer it broke at 57 ish lbs. so I’m say good to go. Just need a rod for it. Might find a 8’ rod med-heavy fast action and use it for the pier

Date: December 29, 2018 06:05PM

Well Im pretty sure I’m going with a Akins 656 CTM for my first bait caster 170 bucks

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 06:18PM

Yes the 330 GT is a beast, and is more of a boat reel than a casting reel. David is correct in saying that there are a lot of very good casting reels with centrifugal braking. I have been using Shimano Curados for years and all have centrifugal braking that requires internal adjustments, my Abu Garcia Revos also have centrifugal braking but the controls are external, which is more convenient. Of the low profile saltwater casting reels I mentioned above, the Shimano TranX 200, Revo Inshore, and Quantum all have centrifugal braking with external control (even the Shimano). The Diawa Coastal has a magnetic braking system, and the Lew’s inshore has both centrifugal and magnetic braking. They all have corrosion resistant bearings designed for saltwater use. All appear to be quality reels. Speaking of bearings the 13 Fishing Concept Z reels have no bearing to ever corrode, they use some kind of a high tech polymer instead of bearings, interesting concept. The Concept Z reel also has a centrifugal braking system. Centrifugal spool braking takes place early in the cast when the spool is rapidly tspinning. In contrast magnetic braking occurs late in the cast when the spool is slowing down, and in a way takes the place of the thumb. Both systems appear to work very well, just differently. I’m seriously thinking about the Lew’s Inshore reels because it has both types of braking, I’m curious as to how well it works. My second choice is the Diawa Coastal, just because I don’t have a reel with magnetic braking. I would also like to try the new Curado DC, I have heard that Digital Control braking reels are really something else if adjusted properly, because the control braking thought the cast. Concerning proper adjustment, all of these reels have a spool tension knob that needs to be adjusted in order for any of these braking systems to work properly. So there is a learning curve for avoiding backlashes. Hope this gives you a little more information.
Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2018 06:58PM

I was writing when you posted. The Akios 656 CTM is a high profile round casting reel which is larger and twice as heaviy as the other reels that have been mentioned. It is a nice reel for a surf rod, or heavier inshore fishing, but is out of place for most freshwater fishing except for maybe muskies or catfish, or large salmon. So it doesn’t fit what you want in your initial post. It also is right hand crank only, and has no level wind, so you will need to learn how guide the line onto the spool using your fingers. Not as user friendly as a low profile level wind reel. Just my opinion, not trying to talk you out of it. If you think it will fit your needs get it.
Norm

Date: December 29, 2018 07:04PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> I was writing when you posted. The Akios 656 CTM
> is a high profile round casting reel which is
> larger and twice as heaviy as the other reels that
> have been mentioned. It is a nice reel for a surf
> rod, or heavier inshore fishing, but is out of
> place for most freshwater fishing except for maybe
> muskies or catfish, or large salmon. So it
> doesn’t fit what you want in your initial post.
> It also is right hand crank only, and has no level
> wind, so you will need to learn how guide the line
> onto the spool using your fingers. Not as user
> friendly as a low profile level wind reel. Just my
> opinion, not trying to talk you out of it. If you
> think it will fit your needs get it.
> Norm

Norm I was just looking over this reel again and it came as a surprise that it was right hand only. Y thought was to get two reels one for a heavier and one for fresh water . The level wind concerns me a lot . I’ll have to research this reel some more. It came highly suggested by Tommy Farmer

Date: December 29, 2018 08:00PM

Norman Miller I did some more searching and found this reel does come left handed and also with level wind. Just a different model

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2018 07:32AM

I wasn't envisioning that size of reel. lol Or even a round reel for that matter. Must be my bass fishing roots. I remember the first casting reel I ever tried to use. I was young. young Not even a teenager yet. My dad had a green Shakespeare that was round. I remember trying to cast it. My dad must have had it dialed tight because I didn't get a backlash when I tried to cast. Of course you have to have line at least start to come off the spool in order to get a backlash. lol

On a completely unrelated topic ..... I went shopping for a portable bluetooth speaker yesterday. I bought one that looks like a Marshall guitar amp. How cool is that? lol Well maybe not as cool to those that aren't a hard rock guitar player from years gone by. It sounds great too !!!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster