I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bait casting reels salt water and fresh water
Posted by: Richard White (204.111.141.---)
Date: December 25, 2018 04:00PM

Hello all and Merry Christmas. I’ve been looking into some reels Teca Diawa etc some with level wind some with out. Looking for suggestions for my first bait caster. And maybe one I can use in both fresh and salt water. Thanks Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bait casting reels salt water and fresh water
Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2018 05:06PM

Merry Christmas. What's your budget and primary target species?

Date: December 25, 2018 06:09PM

Robert Ford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Merry Christmas. What's your budget and primary
> target species?

Thank you. Types of would bass and what ever fish may bite freshwater. Saltwater would drum whiting trout and again whatever else bites. As for price I’d say $0 to $ 200

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 25, 2018 08:16PM

Lots of good reels in that price range; I prefer Daiwas, but Daiwa is not the only maker of good reels. Do some research, consider drag as a significant factor for salt. Do internet searches for reviews of reels you are considering.

All reels at any price point require rinsing in fresh water after use in salt. Every time. Read the directions.

Date: December 25, 2018 09:17PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> Lots of good reels in that price range; I prefer
> Daiwas, but Daiwa is not the only maker of good
> reels. Do some research, consider drag as a
> significant factor for salt. Do internet searches
> for reviews of reels you are considering.
>
> All reels at any price point require rinsing in
> fresh water after use in salt. Every time. Read
> the directions.

Michael I saw that so far and reviews are a must for anything that I buy. Then I ask for information from people who have better knowledge of the product then I do. As for reel ,maintenance I take my spinning reels apart before and after every trip to the beach. My freshwater reels twice a year. Open them up check gears washers drag etc if all is good relube close them up. Rods are washed guides checked rv protective wax ready to go next time around . Thanks for your input it’ll be very useful I’m hoping to find some place that I might be able to try a few or ask around to some friends and ask to try stuff out

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2018 09:30PM

I am really like my Lews Speed Spool Inshore reel that I bought off of @#$%& for a good deal. It has a strong smooth drag, lightweight and a good simple to adjust magnetic cast control. I do agree that there are many good baitcasters from Shimano, Daiwa,Abu and 13 fishing as well.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 25, 2018 09:47PM

I have a Daiwa SLOSH-30 that is 20+ years old and has seen a lot of duty fishing the surf. I live by the shore. It has never given me any trouble and works as well today as new. I put a topshot of 130 yards or so of #30 mono backed by a couple hundred yards or so of #30 braid. I very seldom have any problem at all with overwind (backlash). Let your thumb provide the level-wind. It's simple.The Daiwa Sealine is moderately priced and I do not hesitate to recommend it. Of course right away (not tomorrow) after you use it in salt water you must rinse it with fresh water, EVERY time.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 25, 2018 10:49PM

I have also been looking for a double duty casting reel for light inshore and freshwater. I’m looking for a relatively light low profile reel that will hold up. I am currently using an older Shimano Curado 201, which has lasted well. I like left hand retrieve but that’s me. Been looking at the following, and I think they are all quite suitable.

Abu Garcia Revo inshore gen 4 $249, 7.7 oz
Abu Garcia Revo X inshore $129 8.3 oz
Diawa Coastal $229 8.1 oz
Lew’s Custom inshore SLP $200 6.9 oz
Lew’s inshore LFS $129. 7.3 oz
Quantum Accurist inshore $120 7.8 oz
Shimano TranX 200/201 $199 8.3

Not sure of which one is most suitable for me, but leaning towards the Revo gen 4, Diawa coastal, and Lew’s inshore SLP. Maybe some one else has more information. Also thinking about the Curado DC, but maybe not for saltwater. Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 08:50AM

You can get a Daiwa Coastal for much less than $200 on @#$%& from a 99.9% positive seller. Based on my experience with other Daiwa reels, that is what I would buy.

Date: December 26, 2018 11:29AM

Yes, I gave list prices as a starting point. The Diawa Coastal does have good reviews, and I have been curious about the Twing line guide, and their magnetic line braking system. It is a little heavier than Lew’s, and Revo, but 8 oz is not too bad for a heavy duty reel with good line capacity.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-235-141.myvzw.com)
Date: December 26, 2018 02:53PM

Shimano Curado K, 13 Fishing Concept A or Concept Z and Lews BB1 Speed spool. These are all under $200 and will serve your purpose. I would highly recommend the level wind. I fish mainly saltwater with baitcasters and use these reels for the type of fishing you are talking about. They are really bass reels so they work great for that also.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (143.59.156.---)
Date: December 26, 2018 08:27PM

For Inshore reds and trout I’d pick the Shimano Tranx 200 8.5:1 holds around 200 yard of 20lb power pro for $200 it’s built for saltwater with seals to keep the salt/sand out of key areas. I don’t have a 200 yet but I got a 400 and I’ve caught bull reds and king mackerel without fail. I only rinse the exterior after use and haven’t had any issue to date (year 2). Winner in my book.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2018 02:00AM

The Daiwa tatula ct type r will perform for bass,and the price is reasonable at around 120. I wouldn't like;y use it in the salt however. The coastal can be had for a 150 or so. That would be my bet. They cast a country mile,last ,and have good drags.

Date: December 27, 2018 11:41AM

Richard - you mentioned this is going to be your first baircasting reel. So I am assuming you are right handed and use a spinning rod and reel that you cast right hand and crank with your left hand. If this is the case make sure you check out the left hand retrieve casting reels, Most righthanders will cast right switch hands and crank right, never quite understood why, but supposedly due to using the dominant hand. When I bought my first baitcaster too many years ago, I disliked cranking right and holding the rod in my left hand, it just felt strange to me. When the first left hand retrieve casting reels came out I got one and never looked back. If you are left handed, or crank with your right hand, then different story!
Norm

Date: December 27, 2018 12:09PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Richard - you mentioned this is going to be your
> first baircasting reel. So I am assuming you are
> right handed and use a spinning rod and reel that
> you cast right hand and crank with your left hand.
> If this is the case make sure you check out the
> left hand retrieve casting reels, Most
> righthanders will cast right switch hands and
> crank right, never quite understood why, but
> supposedly due to using the dominant hand. When I
> bought my first baitcaster too many years ago, I
> disliked cranking right and holding the rod in my
> left hand, it just felt strange to me. When the
> first left hand retrieve casting reels came out I
> got one and never looked back. If you are left
> handed, or crank with your right hand, then
> different story!
> Norm

Norm you nailed it right on the head. Rod in my right hand retrieved left handed. I’m glad you caught that. I was looking at left handed reels. I also find it odd and not feeling right when the rod is in my left hand. Lol

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2018 05:02PM

I'm one of the right handed crank with my right hand when using a bait caster, but right handed and crank with my left when using spinning gear. My dad (rip) was a right hand crank with his left convert on casting reels, and I tried using his reels. It was just too odd for me. I think it's because of the position of the handle on a spinning reel versus casting reel.

Also, you fight fish differently (at least I do) with a spinning rod, versus a casting rod. For me a casting reel is a winch. My right hand is stronger, therefore it is easier (for me) to winch a fish in cranking with my right hand. Don't winch a fish in with a spinning reel (at least I don't) Use the rod to pull, use the reel to take up line. Pump reel, pump reel.

As far as switching hands goes. It's second nature. I will say that when flipping and pitching I don't switch hands. I keep the rod in my left hand the whole time for those two techniques.

Lots of good suggestions on the reels.

Date: December 28, 2018 05:43PM

It is all about what feels right to you. Most of my lefty friends do not switch hands when using a casting reel and prefer cranking right handed. On the other hand (pun intended) many, if not most, righties like to switch hands and crank right handed, some even when using spinning reels. Go figure!
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2018 07:59PM

lol Norman .... love the "on the other hand" pun intended. Happy New Years !!!

Date: December 28, 2018 09:30PM

I went and checked out a few reels and most were rights but got to check a few I was looking at. Lews diawia abu was all dicks had and I wasn’t to happy with them. Sales guy was really pushy and when I asked about magnetic breaks he looked lost. Guess I’ll have to make a trip to basspro cabelas maybe they have a clue. Or try searching for Tackle shops that aren’t 6 hrs away

Date: December 28, 2018 10:35PM

It is almost impossible to find a knowledgeable and unbiased sales person, even in places like Bass Pro or Cabela’s. The better ones I’ve found have been associated with local Tackle shops, and still many of them tend to be know it alls who actually have limited knowledge about the products they sell. The most knowledgeable are the repair people, they know how reels really work and what separates one brand or model from another. Shimano, Diawa, Abu Garcia, and Lew’s have all been around for a long time because they all make quality products. Just need to find one that fits you, not someone else.
Norm

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster