I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Collector guide
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 20, 2001 02:12PM

I have had some discussions with Bob at Custom Tackle about collector guides on flyrods. I have built one flyrod with this in place and recieved good benefits from this. I was wondering how many of you use a collector guide on your custom flyrods. BTW, a collector guide is on placed about 4inces after the stripper, usually one or two sizes smaller. It really gets the line to straighten out and prevents line slap between the stripper and the next guide. If you will notice while casting a flyrod (especially longer ones) as the line "coils" out of your hand to the stripper, the stripper reduces this some, but if you notice the "coiling" of the line continues until the next guide, then straightens out. Also, when casting line, many times the line hits the blank between the stripper and the next guide. The placement of a collector guide, gets the line straighten faster and prevents the ever dreaded slap. I am not an authority on this at all. I have tried it once with great results. Wondered what others thoughts are and how often it is being used. Bob, did I say everything correctly?
Elrod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Collector guide
Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel Service (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 20, 2001 04:00PM

Elrod,
I've been using this method for quite some time and like the idea of the better line control. Also, it's something a customer can usually only see (and explained) by a custom rod builder familiar with the technique.

Generally, the 'collector guide' (or 'double stripper' system), whatever you want to call it is place about 4" ahead of the stripper as you already mentioned. One size smaller should do it, except if guide weight consideration is a factor, or wanting to go concept (also weight reduction).

Try these strippers in TiCh or TiGold ringed Forecast guides. Adds a lot of beauty AND function and much less priced than Cermet.

The additional stripper guide really is a good idea, I agree. Well spoken, Elrod.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.r8.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: November 20, 2001 05:34PM

Sounds good enough at least, to get a little discussion going and hear of others thoughts on this subject. I cast hard and apply a lot of pressure to my casts, so I know it works for me. We have watched the line pass thru and observed this procedure.

Bob McK -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Prefessa (63.112.220.---)
Date: November 20, 2001 06:19PM

What does this additional guide do to the "Fish Fighting"Characteristics of the rod? Will the collector guide drastically affect how the rod loads under fish fighting stress? Could it lead to blank failure??? I know several excellent rod builders who do this so I am not doubting it's effectiveness, I just want to learn more about it's correct application.

blank strength
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 08:14PM

According to what was in the last Rodmaker on how many guides to use, the more guides you have on a rod the better the fish fighting and more blank strength you will have. Something about it lessening the stresses that occur between guides when the line is loaded.

Re: blank strength
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 09:15PM

This is a favorite trick I like to do. To find out the results of the extra stripper guide just take an existing rod and take it outside and test cast it. Now remove the line from the guides and add the extra stripper four inches behind the first stripper and place it with masking tape. Restring the line and test cast again. You will notice the difference. You can usually hear, fell and see the difference. Try it for yourself. It is more predominant on the larger line size rods. I have used this on rods as small as a 5 wt. It doesn't cost anything to try it and see the results for yourself.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.wntck1.sfba.home.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 11:42PM

Do tournament casters use the extra guide? Seems that they would/should if it gives them extra distance.

Date: November 21, 2001 12:38PM

Guys:

I do know that this little trick will add distance, What my original question was.... Do any of you guys have rods coming back broken because of that added collector guide putting an odd stress load on the butt section of the blank when flexed deeply??? This application is for rods of> 8 wt so folks are going to be flexing these rods to the max!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 21, 2001 01:14PM

That extra guide would make the blank stronger, not weaker. Although more guides and closer spaced guides add weight which can be detrimental to efficiency and performance, it is the rods with very few guides and long distances between guides that break more easily.

When the line pulls between guides the rod can be forced into an unnatural bend which it would not otherwise take. Breakage can and often is the result. The additional stripping guide they are talking about here will not harm your rod and if anything will reduce stress on the butt section.

Date: November 21, 2001 05:20PM

Thanks Tom! Just what I was looking for! Cant wait to try it out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster