I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What I want from Santa (blank mfg.s)
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 23, 2018 09:27PM

If you make and sell blanks that come with decals, provide instructions for their installation. Merry Christmas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What I want from Santa (blank mfg.s)
Posted by: John Bonior (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 23, 2018 09:40PM

Posted by: David Tenney (---.sub-174-196-135.myvzw.com)
Date: December 23, 2018 10:01PM

Decals - The struggle is real!

I am still tryng to master a smooth finished product.

Date: December 23, 2018 10:10PM

I have found more than one coat maybe no less than 3 and a lighter to make it like glass

Date: December 24, 2018 09:30PM

John, that video shows a Mudhole custom decal. Does the same method apply to MHX or Batson or American Tackle? .

Date: December 26, 2018 09:32AM

yes. I have used manufacturers decals and always needed more than one coat but came out great

Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (---.kngwcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 10:23AM

I believe I read on this forum that if you apply a coat of color preserver around the decal edges prior to your next over coat of epoxy, it helps make the edges disappear. I’ve tried this a couple of times and it really helps.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 03:43PM

I would also like so see at least two decals included with the blank, like in the Rainshadows. No matter how good you are, there is always that one that gets an air bubble in it. And unless you have the Pearl 270 or better decal printer your stuck. It can't cost that much to include an extra decal?

Tom

Date: December 27, 2018 05:06PM

I may have created some confusion with my post. I'm not concerned with finishing once the decal is on the blank, but the transfer of the decal from the backing sheet to the blank. with some the tape across the face method will pull the info off the decal.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2018 06:29PM

Lynn
You don't put the tape all the way across the decal just on the ends. Also I use blue painters tape cut into a 1/2 inch strips and About an inch long. Good and sticky and doesn't leave a residue on the decal. Once tracked on the rod I'll roll it on with a rubber brayer to get it firm and roll out any air bubbles. Hope this helps

Tom

Date: December 27, 2018 06:47PM

It does Tom, thanks. Will try blue tape . Scotch tape can be a problem at times.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2018 07:58PM

It would be nice to get a decal with the blank, period. lol It seems to be a 50/50 shot with NFC. Two IM series blanks had decals with them, two X ray blanks did not.

Also, I'd like to see Rainshadow take the color of the blank into consideration when they are choosing the color of lettering for the decal. 3 different Immortal blanks I've built on have all had silver lettering on their decals. The blank is a silvery color. I'm thinking black lettering would be a much better choice.

Date: December 28, 2018 08:54PM

Hopefully, some of the mfg.s will read this topic and feel our pain.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 01, 2019 10:05PM

I agree on decals, but from the perspective of blank design, ferrules are so good now that I would like more varieties of "travel blanks." I just made a Rainshadow 7 foot 3 piece RX6 spin rod with natural cork split grip, a size 17 seat, Fuji CC KLH guides, a wonderful action, good power, and it came in just under 4 oz. Proving that if the blank were a higher mod blank with titanium guides it could come in at 3.6 or less and still have the advantage of easy transport.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster