I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decals on Cork
Posted by: Tony Sanchez (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 10:58AM

I would like to put a waterslide decal on a cork fore grip. I was thinking to put a coat of Permagloss on the cork, then the decal and another top coat of Permagloss. Has anyone tried this.

I did try searching for this but could not find it

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals on Cork
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 12:27PM

You may be OK with the undercoat, but top coating with Permagloss will destroy the decal. Permagloss is a hot solution!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 12:58PM

But I see no reason why it would not work with wrap epoxy. I have a rod with white polyurethane (seat shims formed by sanding and painted white) that were covered with Pro Kote and the decals AND the white are still color true after about 5 years and probably 5 weeks running around on a flats boat in Belize and the Bahamas. + hanging by an east window for the rest of the time. Give it a try.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 03:22PM

The problem with a decal on a cork base will be the pits. The label must be affixed to a clean, flat surface, else either air will be trapped under the label or the label will wrinkle. So, whatever you use as the base finish needs to level fill the area where the label will be placed. You might need to fill the pits in the label area then put down an undercoat of epoxy.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 04:50PM

You will need a base of epoxy on which to put the decal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 07:46PM

Tony,
Just simplify your life a bit, move forward of the fore grip and put your decal on the blank.

The decal will look great in that location and will be perfect and long lasting with next to 0 work.

But, it is of course your choice.

Enjoy the holidays.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 24, 2018 10:14AM

I used to do it a lot and it can look nice. Coat of epoxy, decal, coat of epoxy - good to go!

Posted by: Tony Sanchez (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 24, 2018 03:05PM

update - I did an undercoat of Permagloss to seal and level the cork, then applied the water slide decal and let dry. Covered edges with clear nail polish then a coat of TM epoxy. It is on the dryer now. I'll post a picture when it is done. I really like the way it came out.

Roger - I have some wrap and other decals just after the fore grip so that was not an option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster