I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Using 3 pieces of a 4 piece fly blank
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 24, 2018 10:49AM

Herb:
I agree faster is better, in cars, dates,and fly rods. I fished Cape Cod Bay flats for over 30 years, most recently with a rod I built on a TFO-BVK 9wt. blank and a 10wt. Lee Wulff Triangle Taper line - waded out a mile or so with the tide among schools of eager bluefish in the #10 - #15 range. Three years ago after a late-afternoon wade we woke to T.V. helicopter footage of two 10'-12' great whites cruising the flats a half-mile BEHIND us when we were fishing. Now I sit and watch the seals on the back side.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2018 12:03PM

Phil,
Hope Reed doesn't mind us pirating his post - But i'm tempted to ask where you were exactly when the whites were behind you. The only places I know where you can walk that far is Brewster and the PTown flats. I also used to wade out about a mile to the PTown drop off. The big bull seals of 800 pounds would break water 20' away - like a VW beetle was dropped into the water. It made me uncomfortable because they do have big teeth. But I never worried about sharks. Now I wade up to my knees and back-up as the tide fills in. On the outer beaches where I spend most of my time I stay pretty much hi and dry.
Google the video of the white shark that beached on the Cape itself trying to eat a seagull.
My son says that if I wade over my ankles - I am part of the food chain.
Regards,
Herb
PS - maybe i'll see you on the beach one day. Rita and I are in PTown for May and June every year.
PPS - the Wulff BT Floater has been my go-to line for many years to cast large gurglers. Last May and June I discovered the Bermuda Triangle SHORT and haven't gone back.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 24, 2018 01:22PM

North Eastham - We waded off North Sunken Meadow Beach towards Billingsgate. Boston news helicopter took footage off Cook's Brook Beach, about 1/4 mile south.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 25, 2018 08:39PM

A venture like this without the use of objective testing before cutting will most likely turn out like Ron Zimmerman's project. I also agree with Roger that cutting much of anything off the tip of modern blanks will have major detrimental effects.

It is not that hard to make a CCS testing rig that will allow measuring any blank whether uncut or simulating the cut whether it be tip or butt. By doing that it will be possible to pretty accurately determine before cutting what one would end up with. It's also pretty easy to weigh the first 30 feet (or more) of fly line so one can correlate the right line with the blank CCS numbers. These objective measurements will take most of the risk out of this project.

I'm not sure a short salt water fly rod of any power or action makes much sense. What are the disadvantages of length for a salt rod?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 12:40PM

Reed,
In addition to the other comments on this post, is the possibility that if you have a 3-foot blank first section and you want a shorter rod, you might consider cutting 2 feet off of the butt section. This will still give you the more powerful butt section to handle the reel seat, but your rod will be 2 feet shorter.

Good luck

Date: December 26, 2018 08:45PM

But Roger, that is a crap shoot. Yes, it could work. But, it could not work. And you won't know until you have made an irreversible move on the blank.

Date: December 26, 2018 08:45PM

But Roger, that is a crap shoot. Yes, it could work. But, it could not work. And you won't know until you have made an irreversible move on the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2018 09:46PM

Michael,
Actually not.

You can tape the reel in place on the rod where you want to end up with and then tie the guides onto the rod. You don't need to put any coating on the guides, just take the rod out - without cutting off the butt of the blank and go catch some fish.

If you find that it works for you, you can trim up the butt, put on the reel seat and complete the rod. If you find that it doesn't work, put the reel on the end of the rod, and place the guides where they need to be and fish with the longer rod.

Good luck

Date: December 27, 2018 11:33AM

Got it Roger. thanks

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2018 02:32AM

Norm, on which line weights I have used, six, seven and eight weight. makes a fun little stick.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster