I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken rod
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2018 08:33PM

Was wondering what some of you think of what might be the best way to repair this rod. It's a 30 year old pistol grip 5'6" graphite rod. No name on the it!!! I'll fix at least 15 or more broken rods In a year,, most newer and most in the tip area. To date none have ever failed or at least I have not heard. What is the difference on this one is that it is not completely broken through and is broken in the power section of the rod. In that area I generally use an inner and an outer sleeve.

On this one rather than complete the break I was wondering if the fact that it still has some strength just go with an outer sleeve. I am replacing all the guides so it is no biggie to bring the sleeve from the top and match the taper. What I can't do is get to the inside since the old rubber pistol grip is in place and he doesn't want it disturbed. The only other option I saw was cut it in half and use an inner sleeve.

Anyone have a suggestion on what you would do??

Thanks
Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2018 08:42PM

An outer sleeve is nearly always the preferred repair. And make the sleeve from fiberglass.

There is an article on rod repair in the online library here and it may address your issue.

Date: December 21, 2018 08:55PM

Thanks Tom. I have been following that guide on repairs to the letter and it really works well. I buy fiberglass rods at flea markets and use them for my sleeves.

You think just leave it in tack and slide the sleeve over the break ??

Tom

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 21, 2018 09:19PM

I wouldn't break it further if you don't have to.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2018 10:31PM

Same here. Make sure you can clean it up and adhere the sleeve well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2018 11:36PM

To differ.
If it was my rod, I would make a clean cut in the middle of the break, put in a fiberglass plug in the middle and a fiberglass outer sleeve that extends past any part of the damaged blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 01:05PM

I wouldn't break or cut it, but in the pic the pieces do show misalignment. If in fitting your sleeve you cannot be confident of getting the rod straight, then a clean cut may be in order. You don't want a rod with an offset part way up. I think the repair will be structurally just fine either way, cut or not cut.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 01:05PM

I wouldn't break or cut it, but in the pic the pieces do show misalignment. If in fitting your sleeve you cannot be confident of getting the rod straight, then a clean cut may be in order. You don't want a rod with an offset part way up. I think the repair will be structurally just fine either way, cut or not cut.

Date: December 22, 2018 07:29PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I now have the guides removed and I feel confident that an outer sleeve over the break, once aligned will do the job.

Merry Christmas

Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 07:48PM

Tom,
By the way, if your rod is of the type where the blank disconnects from the handle, you can slip reinforcing piece of material up the butt of the blank to insure a stronger joint if you feel that you need the extra help.

Good luck

Date: December 22, 2018 08:17PM

Thanks Roger I will check it that's a good suggestion.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster