I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinnest Opaque Paint? (Normal paint weights a 'ton'.)
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2018 08:55PM

I recently experimented with stripping painted blanks. These are all high modulus ultralight blanks. To my surprise, the paint weighed about 12-15% of the blank weight! They are professional from the blank factory and they used a white primer and then painted on top. To me, that is a huge percentage of the weight. The blanks became noticeably more sensitive after the paint removal.

Now I want to pain some other blanks - but want it as light as possible. The colors will be light such as yellow among other colors.

What would be the lightest single coat paint that will work for light colors?

Would permagloss with pigment powder added work?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinnest Opaque Paint? (Normal paint weights a 'ton'.)
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2018 09:24PM

the best I have found is this stuff Createx Opaque AirBrush Paint and followed up with a thin coat of PG or luma seal
you can thin it down to get the cover results you want

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 09:25PM by Matthew Paul.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2018 10:31PM

You just discovered why many manufacturers do not paint their blanks.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2018 11:08PM

All my personal fly rods made on CTS blanks are raw carbon (P2000) finish. Then after building I give the rod a coat of good wax with a high content of Carnuba wax
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2018 12:02AM

Tinted PermaGloss will work but keep in mind it will be a very subtle tint. The product does not take color easily. So just keep in mind it will be tinted, not brightly colored.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2018 07:57AM

Of course the lightest rod will be the blank with 0 finish on the blank. Just put on a thin coat of wax after the rod has been built.

Obtain the color you want by the wraps that you put on the guides.

Good luck

Date: December 21, 2018 08:13AM

I think Mo understands that a non-painted blank is lighter. But he wants to paint some blanks and keep them as light as possible within the realm of a painted blank.

Date: December 21, 2018 08:07PM

Yes to all - and particularly Tom. You got it. Wanted to know what is the lightest option if opaque paint is desired.

Thanks

Date: December 21, 2018 10:32PM

You'll never get PermaGloss opaque. Just wanted to mention that. Tinted yes, opaque, no.

Date: December 22, 2018 04:32AM

Thanks.

The deal with paint is that the lighter the blank, the greater its impact on performance as the paint weighs a higher percentage of the blank's weight. For a heavy powered and weight blank, I would guess that the impact is much less.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2018 10:36AM

For decades the manufacturers here in the Pacific Northwest have had bare blank options in their rod series, usually their highest modulus blanks, and have freely said even their lightest finishes add 3 to 5% to blank weight. I'm not surprised by your weight problem Mo, but it's now nice to know how much difference there is.

Date: December 22, 2018 11:55PM

Yes - for a primer and paint - but note that these are VERY lightweight UL blanks I'm talking about. So the precentage of the paint to blank weight is higher than higher powered blanks. For salt water blanks, i would guess the percentage of weight can easily drop to 2-3% of the blank. Basically the paint weighs a LOT more than the guides and wraps put together - whcih is far too much for me unfortunately.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 23, 2018 12:39PM

Mo, CreateX paints have a large assortment of colors for whatever effect or finish you desire. I've been using them since 2001 when I rebuilt a surf rod for myself. I still have that rod and it looks great. Go to the CreateX website to learn how to use them.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John Bonior (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 23, 2018 08:52PM

Get a iwata airbrush top feed HP-C and look on createx paint for their textile opaques or autoborne. A couple drops of base coat and a couple drops of paint then clear or laquer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster