I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti DC gearbox motor conversion
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 01:51PM

Hello all,

I have recently gone through the process of changing the power setup on my Renzetti Craftsman with a DC mini gearbox motor. I wanted to post the data of this conversion if anyone is considering the change over.
What made me want to look for other options than the 1/10 hp motor that I bought with the wrapper was to gain more control(on the lower RPM side), use the wrapper as a dryer, reverse rotation directions without changing motors, and achieve these things using just 1 motor. I ended up with a Mini DC gearbox motor with a control center as well as a foot control pedal that is not spring loaded, so I don't have to think about keeping my foot on the pedal and controlling the speed - I can set it with my foot and relax until I'm ready to stop or change speeds.
I tried several different motors before I found one that worked for my requirements. Below I will list the motors I tested and what I thought of each.

1. 800 RPM - More than required high end speed, started to abruptly for my liking when wrapping thread, could not get it to the slow end speed of 9 - 14 RPM speed for drying - the motor would stop.
2. 220 RPM - Plenty of high end speed, started much more smoothly, still wasn't comfortable with the low RPM's - I was afraid of the motor stalling when drying.
3. 100 RPM - Not enough high end speed for the way I like to apply finish, started very smooth, low speed RPM was easily set around 5 RPM (I dry at 9 - 12 RPM) if desired ( So this one was perfect on the low end, but I wanted more speed for finishing)
4. 150 RPM - Good high end speed for finishing as well as long wraps, starts very smoothly, Low end RPM's perfect.
So, as you can see, the 150 RPM mini gearbox motor is perfect for my needs. Below are the RPM speeds of the rod blank for each belt location on the step pulleys.
Drive pulley to Head stock pulley - smallest to largest - 5 RPM TO 55 RPM
Drive pulley to Head stock pulley - middle to middle - 10 RPM to 91 RPM
Drive pulley to Head stock pulley - largest to smallest - 12 RPM to 135 RPM
All the above speeds were of the rod blank. So I can actually apply finish, slow down the speed to dry, and not even change the the belt location. With this conversion I received a control center ( which I think is the best part of the whole deal !!!!)
The control center is mounted in the center support cabinet(no door) so I can reach it from anywhere along the bench. I can turn on/off the power, reverse the rotation direction, operate the foot control, or set the speed with a dial.
The only thing I can't do with this setup is sanding or grip shaping, but I do not do this with this wrapper anyway. I do it outside on a mini lathe and mandrels or if on a rod I setup an old pac bay wrapper with the 1/10 hp motor that came with it.
I just wanted to post this information for anyone wants a little more control on an already AWESOME power wrapper! If anyone has any questions or wants info on the control center and how to get one - just ask. I did not build any of this system.

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti DC gearbox motor conversion
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 02:02PM

can you turn the blank by hand, so you can hand wrap?

Date: December 16, 2018 02:25PM

Yes - it is a little tight but I can. But for this reason - I have a slip clutch in the chuck.

Jon Hood

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 05:14PM

What is the motor and source?

Date: December 16, 2018 05:23PM

Motor is a Zheng -150 rpm mini gear box motor - got it on Amazon

Jon Hood

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.car2-wispds4-pool9.amplex.net)
Date: December 17, 2018 06:39AM

I just did a search for that motor on amazon. nothing...anything more specific would be appreciated.
Also info on the control center. Please.
thanks

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.sub-174-228-159.myvzw.com)
Date: December 17, 2018 07:37AM

Mark,
Send me an email and I will give you the info about the control center. Try searching DC 24V 150RPM high torque electric speed reducing gear box motor - it is sold on Amazon by Uxcell. I just looked at it again.

Jon Hood

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster