I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Suggestions for 1/8-1/4oz Mepps
Posted by: Brian Kulczak (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 01:32PM

Hello,
I’m looking for recommendations to build a spinning setup for 1/8-1/4 oz in line spinners like Mepps for smallmouth. It would be used for wading in a small river with very few casting obstructions. Most of the smallmouth would be under a pound with a three pounder being the largest I would come across. Price tag isn’t a problem, I’m looking for a rod to last a long time. Thank you in advance for the help!
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Suggestions for 1/8-1/4oz Mepps
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 03:05PM

United Composites DHX UC66LXF, or UC70LXF. Very durable blanks that I've used for 15+ years, for just that size smallmouth in the Umpqua River in Oregon.

Date: December 16, 2018 03:32PM

Thanks Spencer I’ll put that on my list!

Posted by: David Tenney (---.sub-174-196-144.myvzw.com)
Date: December 16, 2018 09:00PM

Take a look at the Phenix PHX-S692L-B. I built a rod for myself on one and really like it for throwing light weight finesse baits. I think it would fit what you are looking for.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2018 08:35AM

What length are you considering?

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 17, 2018 12:07PM

From our RainShadow lineup we’d recommend our Revelation REVS72L or maybe ML if you need a little heavier. You can see the specs at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

If you’re packing through a bunch of brush to get to the river, then we’d suggest the Revelation 2-Piece blanks. REVS72ML-2SB or the68ML – specs at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: December 17, 2018 03:37PM

If Mepps spinners are getting it done, and than slows switching to a different blade style like a #6 Panther Martin can sometimes start them up again.

Date: December 17, 2018 04:53PM

Bob,
Length isn’t too big of a deal to me, it’s wide open where I’ll be casting. Ideally 6’6 to somewhere in the 7’ range would be perfect.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2018 05:02PM

Brian - Thanks for getting back with me. Here is a couple of MHX models for consideration, from the Mud Hole web-site - [www.mudhole.com] & [www.mudhole.com] -- Thank You & Merry Christmas!!

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 18, 2018 11:22AM

The American Tackle Bushido SP68/4-8 would be perfect for Mepps spinners. It is rated for lures from 1/32 - 5/16 oz so there is a lot of room for different lures. It is perfect for Smallies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster