I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Acid wrap on a slow action blank
Posted by: Ken Patek (47.201.60.---)
Date: December 16, 2018 07:18AM

Messing around with an acid wrap, on a blank, with slow/parabolic action. Seems that no matter what, the Butt guide will be side loaded, when the rod is under heavy load. This makes me think a lot of torque will be imparted to this single location, causing the guide to rip out/the blank to fail. Am I overthinking this? Should you not acid wrap a blank with slow action? Any input from the experts would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acid wrap on a slow action blank
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 07:42AM

Use the simple spiral method and there will be no guide that is appreciably side loaded, or torqued, by the line. No problem with slow action. Use double foot guides for the first three. As low as possible for number two.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2018 12:07AM

Being a slow blank, what's the application? Trolling, crankbait, live bait, etc?

Nick

Posted by: Ken Patek (172.109.138.---)
Date: December 18, 2018 10:42AM

The application is bottom fishing for Grouper, using live bait....and trolling. Its a 6'6" blank. Wish I could post a picture to show you the action, and how the guides are placed. I tried the simple spiral method 1st (with an extra guide clocked 90 degrees, between the 1st two guides, and it didn't look right (the line had too much angle to it making the transition. I would of had to space the guides further apart). I ended up making the transition to 180 with three guides. The Butt guide was placed approx. 5 degrees clocked in the direction of rotation, the 2nd guide 60 degrees, and the third guide 120, with the final at 180. The line "flows" really nice around the blank, but like I mentioned, under heavy load, that 1st/Butt guide has a side load too it.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: December 18, 2018 03:36PM

Hmm interesting, heavier load on a short slow rod so the majority of the bend is occurring closer to the transition. Also tough because the the butt guide is probably larger, taller, exaggerating the angle of the side load. Will it succeed by reducing the angle of the first guide? During the load, the second guide with pull the line toward the side of the ring on the direction of rotation. Angle of the guides aren't necessarily placed assuming line on center, but rather the expected path through the range of the ring. Bigger and taller the butt guide, bigger the deviation. You might hit a 5 degree angle in the range of the guide ring with the guide straight up.

Best of luck Ken
Nick

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 19, 2018 10:03AM

Casting is not a priority, right? And the advantage of getting most of the guides on the bottom is significant.

Since you are a builder you can pretty easily fix it if it fails. I recommend using the best solution you've come up with, possibly lowering the first guide to reduce the torque, and go with it. If you use stout guides it will probably work fine.

Posted by: Ken Patek (172.109.138.---)
Date: December 19, 2018 11:14AM

Casting is not a priority. I am going with what I have built, and to your point, if isn't working out, I will amend. The guides are the heavy saltwater Virtus guides, which I've heard good things about their durability.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2018 02:52PM by Ken Patek.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster