I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help matching components with RodGeeks colors
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2018 10:47PM

I recently built a rod for a buddy on a two tone Rodgeeks blank, and he's asked me to build a rod for each of his sons. One chose dark green metallic for the butt section, and gold metallic for the tip section, the other gold for the butt and pearl white for the tip. From the picture on Rodgeeks site, the gold appears more like "old" gold...making matching components a nightmare! These are both deep trolling rods for walleye, with large casting reels, and need a size 20 reel seat, with at least a 5" fore grip and a 12" handle that can take the abuse of being in a rod holder all day. I have a blank check for these builds, but he's looking for aesthetics over performance (yikes!). Anyone who has experience with these colors from Rodgeeks who can give advice on components that will compliment the colors...from grips, to reel seat, to guides, to thread...please help!

As always, your experience is greatly appreciated!

Re: Help matching components with RodGeeks colors
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2018 07:59AM

Try Pac Bay they have in the past had more and different colors. Their new catalog isn't reading on my tablet right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 08:10AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2018 02:30PM

I have a piece of their gold blank ( from their sample pack) in my hand, and it is a light or pale gold, not what I think of as "old gold."

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2018 06:10PM

It is so hard to match colors through photographs. If Phil is correct Fuji has a "Pale Gold 902" that will work. I would wait to get the blank but it does not hurt to have different shades of gold thread laying around.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2018 02:42AM

As for the components you might want to consider having them coated in whatever color you think matches or compliments. If you have a local gunsmith talk to him about cerakote. It is a ceramic coating that can be had in all colors. Small parts are no problem. I have had tiny gun screws coated. Anyways start with standard wire frame guides pick your color and finish. Any decent cerekote applicator will be able to blend colors and achieve anything from dusty looking matte to high gloss. There are two formulas of cerakote one heat cured other air cured. Heat cure would work for the guides. You could have the grips turned out of Delrin plastic and then checkered like a gunstock and then coated in a matching or completing color with the air cured.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster