I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Redfish Fly Rod
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 10:02PM

Seth Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The IV I assume? I was looking at the Galvan
> Torque 8 but at $400+ it will be even longer for
> me to get into this. What are some of your
> favorite lower priced reels?

That's the one! The 2018 best saltwater reel "Best buy". Love that reel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2018 12:02AM

Seth
You want 30# backing for those monster reds/drum. You will need the T10.
hladen@hotmail.com
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 17, 2018 08:57AM

Lower priced reels: I have a Lamson Guru II which has served me well for two years on the flats. It's so simple it's scary, but it works just fine. Orvis has a new one , the Hydros SL, that I have not used, but Orvis just doesn't put junk on the market. I have read good reviews on it.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: December 17, 2018 09:18AM

Thank you all for your help! I believe I'm going to go with the Eternity. I can get a much better deal than the St. Croix, and from what I'm seeing here people like it for this application.

On the reel, that Orvis Hydros SL IV looks really good.

Last question for now. I'm right handed. When a reel is right handed, does that mean right hand retrieve or right hand reel, and which of those do I want?

Date: December 17, 2018 01:32PM

Seth,
Some right handed people crank lefty.
If you intend to crank with your right hand - then order a right hand retrieve reel.
Herb

Date: December 17, 2018 01:43PM

Most reels, the Orvis included, are easily switched, but you should be able to specify, as above, how it's set up when you order. Or go to a local store, same price and they often will fill it with backing free.. Herb, if one is going to use leaders of 15-20 pound test, why back with 30? Do you know what the pound test of a typical fly line is? I know when anglers go after the big tarpon they use a heavy leader to the fly but have a short length of lighter leader as a protection for the fly line.and backing.

Date: December 17, 2018 01:44PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seth,
> Some right handed people crank lefty.
> If you intend to crank with your right hand - then
> order a right hand retrieve reel.
> Herb

I crank my spinning reels with my left hand and my baitcasters with my right. I'm assuming, based off of that, I would want to crank left handed.

Date: December 17, 2018 02:03PM

Seth
One would think so - but I crank spinning lefty and bait casting righty.
But I cannot - for the life of me, crank lefty with a fly reel.
Get a reel that you can change from righty to lefty at home. Be sure the reel you order has that option. Most do.
herb

Date: December 17, 2018 02:20PM

The Orvis can be ordered either way, can be converted at home with a tool included with the reel. It's more involved than the Lamson which converts without tools. Go to the Orvis site on this reel and open the link for the reel's manual. It also shows an exploded view of the reel, which is neat. It has what looks like a substantial one way bearing with a multi disc drag, unlike the Lamson which has a conical drag/bearing unit. I like the looks of the Orvis construction, but as stated before, my Lamson works just fine. Drag has never shown any indication of not being smooth, consistent, and reliable.

Date: December 17, 2018 02:23PM

Michael
A big drum will break 20# ( especially a leader) like sewing thread.
My wife and I had on bid reds at the same time from the same school of fish. We both had 20# tippet.
I wanted to unhook mine to help her land the fish. I was too aggressive and mine brok the 20#.

I was more careful with hers and when I touched the leader it snapped.

I just had a conversation with a gentleman who fishes for big drum in NC - he uses straight 30# as a leader.
Herb

Date: December 17, 2018 06:01PM

I just found a giant tarpon guide who prefers 20 pound "class tippets" on his tarpon rigs. I believe that's about what the pound test of my big drum rig was.

But I'm still interested in knowing about how strong fly lines are. Anyone know?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 17, 2018 10:00PM

A few years back they averaged #28 - #30 range in #7 - #9 lines. I don't think I would try to pick up a #30 weight with my favorite 9 wt. fly rod - or even a 15# weight.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2018 10:57PM

I have two #2 and a #4 early Lamson Litespeeds, 25+ yrs old I believe, still going strong. The 2s have easily handled steelhead sized native Alaskan rainbows to 30 inches. All Lamsons have the same drag assembly.

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.sub-174-222-154.myvzw.com)
Date: December 18, 2018 09:57AM

Another Litespeed user here. Mine is a couple decades old 1st gen 3.5 and also have a 3.5 Radius for switch rods. The Litespeed has seen several winter trips to the Tx gulf coast, Florida, bones in Mexico and dunked in alkali Pyramid lake. Other than having the non-stainless drag clutch replaced early in it's life by Lamson it has performed really well. Only concern is how well they would suffer banging against rocks without bending say if you're a N Umpqua wading hero. Sierra Trading Post has the Micra version on close-out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2018 10:15AM by John Van Emmerik.

Date: December 18, 2018 01:30PM

Thanks Phil and Spencer, valuable info.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: December 19, 2018 09:38AM

The Galvan Torque-8 is a great reel. I have 2 of them for Salmon. It's worth a few $$ to have an excellent smooth drag and plenty of room on the spool for any line you would choose to run. The oldest of mine is 8 years old, and was referbed/updated at no charge by Galvan last year. Highly recommended. You can get basically the same reel for less $$ if you get the Galvan Rush Light. The cut outs are different but the drag and size are the same.

Regarding the rod, I Love the St Croix blanks and build those blanks almost exclusively now. The 5FS908.4 or 5FS909.4 will serve you very well. If you want to save a few $$ and still end up with a premium rod, the 42F908.4 or 42F909.4 are terrific blanks and $100 cheaper than the SC5 blanks.

One other thing to consider, is using a real ceramic rod tip like the Fuji F series. I think it makes the run feel better, and I can't tell that the extra microgram of weight makes any difference. I use the titanium TFST tips down to 5 weight rods.

In the end, it's the trip that costs money and $200 either way on the rod and reel will not break the bank.

Drew

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2018 08:49PM

John,
Been quite a while since I walked on the snot rocks of the N. Umpqua. Easily the slickest rocks I've ever tried to walk/stand on. Not sure I still have the dexterity for it.

Posted by: Daren Molina (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2018 11:54PM

Ross evolutions can be used in the salt. Reddington makes some decent stuff too. I also have an old Orvis I got when they were discontinuing it. Paid about $80 for it. It was an Orvis access IV.

Look at some at some of TFOs blanks. They make some decently priced stuff you can use in the salt. Alternatively If you want really cheap occasionally mudhole has some oem generic fly blanks for cheap. Not sure how they’d cast though. If you’re doing salt water get an aluminum reel seat.

Date: April 30, 2019 08:28AM

Ended up going with the CTS Affinity X 8 weight, here's a picture
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster