I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Redfish Fly Rod
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: December 13, 2018 09:30AM

I haven't built that fly rod I was asking about several months ago, but I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger. Wanted some opinions on these blanks from anyone that's used them. I'm open to other suggestions as well, but I'm considering these for right now. This would be mainly for redfish on the upper Texas coast.

Rainshadow Eternity ETEF908-4CB
St. Croix SCV 5FS908.4

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Redfish Fly Rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 13, 2018 09:49AM

I'm not familiar with the St Croix, but the Eternity is an excellent choice, IMHO.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 13, 2018 10:44AM

Seth, we'd definitely recommend the ETEF908 model - first thing we thought of when we saw the Redfish Fly.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: December 13, 2018 11:34AM

I've used the saltwater St. Croix for reds and bones, it's a very nice stick with an excellent history for durability. Should be plenty of reviews of the factory rod. 5FS908-4 if I remember right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 11:48AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2018 11:40AM

I have built the ETEF 908 specifically for a customer's use with Redfish, he loves it and recently landed a 34lb'r with it.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2018 02:24PM

E2.....great blank for reds and outstanding customer service

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2018 12:24PM

Seth,
I really don't want to be the Grinch here - but - the answers to the question you're asking here will get you no closer to a meaningful answer to your quest.
I have no idea of your level of casting skill - but if you are somewhat progressed you may know if you prefer an X-fast, fast, moderate or slow blank. That is only a measure of where the blank "locks-up".
Of course what is fast to one caster may be moderate to another.
Also - depending on your target species - Red Fish in your case - you may want a shorter and more moderate blank for sight fishing. In my experience with Reds - you don't have to reach far out. But you do have to be accurate and fast to get a cast off. So you need a blank that will load quickly with a limited amount of line out of the tip.
You may even need an over-lines #7.
Bottom line - you have to cast as many rods as you can - under the fishing conditions you will encounter - grass is also O.K. You can do that at a good fly shop - or have demo rods shipped to you.
Regards,
Herb
U.S. Distributer CTS Rod blanks

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2018 02:35PM

Herb, I disagree with you! He asked for opinions from those who used them, and got them. There was no reference to casting, merely opinions from experience.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 14, 2018 06:59PM

There are three co-dependent factors in presenting a fly to fish: the fly line/leader, the rod, and the caster. To cast and fish efficiently the line must be matched to the rod and the rod must be matched to the caster. I agree with Herb that the more you know about each of these three elements the more useful advice you can suggest.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2018 08:55PM

The St. Croix Saltwater rod I used had a Tibor Everglades reel, SA Mastery untextured Bonefish line in 8 wt., and we also used T-200 and 300 Teeny line a little bit. The rod tbrew these lines any distance we needed well, close, or far the rod performed well. The rod also rollcasts well, if a rod won't rollcast well I lose interest fast, I gotta have that for steelhead and trout fishing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2018 02:44PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: December 15, 2018 01:31PM

All above,
Please describe the flavor of brussel sprouts to me.
Herb
CTS Distrib.

Date: December 15, 2018 02:16PM

Just a quick experience note about redfishing in LA, the guide carried a 9 wt Orvis Helios 2 in the boat. That's what he thought was the right rod for that fishing.

Date: December 15, 2018 02:32PM

The reds are exceptionally large in that water - 25-30# - some bigger.
Herb

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2018 03:18PM

Let’s start with the caster. He knows zero about casting a fly rod, but wants to build this rod and take lessons with it. Let of a long term plan to start fly fishing. Also, the caster is me if that wasn’t clear.

The rod. From trolling the local fishing forums for about a year, the consesus I’ve gathered is that I want a 9’ 8 weight rod.

Line/leader. The plan is to go to the FTU in Houston where I’m planning to take lessons and have them suggest a line, leader, and flys. I believe I’m going to put a Kraken 3 on there.

This is a learning experience for me to build a fly rod and a learning experience to learn to fly fish.

Date: December 16, 2018 07:38AM

Herb, not to mention a 52 pound black drum. Seth, go with it and welcome to the club. You are going to have a ball.

Date: December 16, 2018 10:29AM

Seth,
IMO - you will want a reel that will provide a faster rate of retrieval than the #3. At a diameter of 3.81 you will be cranking like crazy to retrieve line.
I like reels to have a diameter of OVER 4". Yes - they will be heavier unless you spring for bigger bucks - but there is nothing more frustrating when a big fish rushes you and you can't take in the line fast enough. 4.25" is my minimum.
Also - don't get boxed in to a reel that you can't load with a line that would up-line your rod. And don't take as gospel what the reel manufacturers say you can put as backing and line weights.

Email me if you want some ideas re the complete outfit.
Regards,
Herb

Date: December 16, 2018 02:46PM

Agree on the reel. There are a number of very good sealed drag big reels for about $250-$300 now.

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 07:38PM

Orvis Hydros SL is what I would use. Check it out!

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 07:44PM

Roman Chamine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Orvis Hydros SL is what I would use. Check it out!

The IV I assume? I was looking at the Galvan Torque 8 but at $400+ it will be even longer for me to get into this. What are some of your favorite lower priced reels?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2018 08:06PM

G Loomis needs to bring back that champagne colored $100 reel, it punched way above class.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster