I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is NFC office closed for winter?
Posted by: Ben Krakow (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 12, 2018 01:05PM

I have several questions about a few of their blanks, I have tried calling numerous times as well as emailing. The VM box is always full and no return emails.

Does anyone know if the office shuts down for the winter months? If so, I’ll stop bombarding them with calls and emails.

I did order a ds721 X-ray blank. I believe the website is incorrect with the tip of 1.66. Anyone have this blank and know the correct tip size, so I can order the correct tip top?

Thanks

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is NFC office closed for winter?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2018 01:35PM

I don’t have this rod, but a tip of 1.66 mm is about a size 4.5 in 64ths. For a light powered rod it’s noI out of range. I agree getting in touch with an NFC employee is next to impossible.

Norm

Date: December 12, 2018 01:49PM

I didn’t stop to think that it was possibly mm. I looked at a lot of blanks, and most of the were listed between 4.2 and 5, so I assumed they were all fractional.

Like the SJ732 X-ray was listed as 4.2. The blank I ordered was only one listed that significantly low. So is the ds721 1.6mm or should it have been 3.6 or 4.6 fractional?!?! Would be nice to get ahold of a sales member. I noticed Alex was on here, but I can’t get ahold of him either.

Thanks,

Ben

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2018 02:18PM

Ben,
I just called North Fork Composites and the on line directed me to a person in sales on the 2nd ring.
I chatted with him for a few moments and he indicated that every one was busy handling the business and would be able to answer any questions that you might ask.

I don't know which number you called, but this number is a good contact number for North Fork Composites:

(360) 225-2211

Take care

Date: December 12, 2018 03:16PM

That’s the same telephone # I have, it works much better than their toll free #. I received a call from that # a few months ago about an order. Still waiting for the order to be shipped.
Norm

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: December 12, 2018 03:31PM

Mine was as stated (1.66mm) so a the size 4.5 is OK.

Date: December 12, 2018 04:51PM

Thanks! I’ll call that number

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2018 04:55PM

I ordered and received an MB736 X ray blank that I am currently in the process of building on. It's tip is listed as 1.7. I ended up having to sand the tip to get a 4.5 to fit. I should say that I sanded the entire blank before trying to fit the tip top, and had to sand the tip a slight bit more to get the 4.5 tube to fit. If you don't plan on sanding the blank you may want to order a 4.5 and a 5. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Date: December 12, 2018 06:19PM

I have noticed that the tip sizes given for NFC blanks are not alway accurate. I had two NFC HM blanks of the same model and they each had a different actual tip size, one was a whole size larger than the other. I am sure there is some blank to blank variability, so maybe they give an average for tip size.
Norm

Date: December 12, 2018 07:32PM

No one answered, but I was able to leave a voicemail at the number provided above.

I was gonna order a couple sizes of tips, but I’m using Torzites, so that gets expensive. I might just wait till the blank arrives to measure the tip, since it sounds like there’s some variance between blanks.

David, why did you choose to sand the blank? I know it has the ridges, but are they very rough? The Phenix k2 blank I built had the ridges, but they were lightly sanded from the factory.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2018 09:33PM

If the company that you ordered the blank from offers the Torzite tips, you may be able to ask them to fit one to the blank.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2018 04:49PM

Ben, were it me, I would do what you said you might do, and wait until you have the blank in hand before you order the tip top. You could run into a situation like Norman mentioned, and the tip may be a different size from what its advertised size is. Also, you may have the problem that I ran into in receiving a second MB 736 X ray blank that I ordered, and the blank may have gotten broken in shipping.

Anyhow, as far as to why I sanded the entire blank. Before I ordered it I knew of the ridges it would have on it, and I was already thinking about sanding it when I ordered my first one. Upon receiving it my initial impressions were that I didn't need to sand it. The ridges aren't all that bad, but it does have a different feel, and color, Kind of a cool color actually.

Continuing. The more I handled it the more I thought that I might want to sand it, so I sanded an area of the blank that was going to be covered by the rear grip, and reel seat. It was quick and easy, no muss no fuss, and when you can go from a sanded blank immediately to the unsanded blank, you can feel the difference. That pretty much did it for me. Also I use pretty high thread tension when wrapping guides, and I use size A thread. I had concerns that the ridges would have an impact on my ability to pack my wraps.

As I said, it was easy to do, and I personally am happy that I sanded it. I sanded it only enough to smooth the surface. It's not glass smooth like an NFC IM or I'd imagine the HM blanks are, but it's smooth to the touch with just a hint of waviness. If you're familiar with the NG series of blanks from Hydra, that's what my X ray now looks, and feels like.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2018 05:45PM

Wait till you get the blank. NFC in a nutshell: Great blanks / poor service.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2018 09:05PM

Any of you guys took the time to see the videos from NFC, that little space you see is all there is, not the biggest blank manufacturer by a long shot.

Date: December 14, 2018 06:05PM

Was GLoomis of old, run the same way? Just curious.

I kinda had that hunch that the blanks are great, and (finding out) the customer service is poor!

I left a voicemail earlier this week. As of today, no return call. I called again today, and tried all mail boxes, and all were full again! Lol!

At this point I intend on waiting to measure the blank in hand. But now, since the blank is backordered, I wanted to ask them on projected restocking eta. 3 weeks? 3months?

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 15, 2018 12:31PM

The phone number above worked great 1-360-225-2211 try during buss. hrs

William Sidney
AK

Date: December 15, 2018 10:43PM

You got through?! I’ve been trying morning, midday, and afternoon, several different days!!!! I even left a voicemail (along with emails) that have not been returned!

What days of the week and times have you guys been getting through? I’ve tried all the menu options on the phone number above all week ast week.

I’ll resume trying again on Monday morning, hopefully I get lucky!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2018 10:44PM by Ben Krakow.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2018 11:12PM

Ben,
You are calling the 360 telephone number aren't you?

Don't bother with the 800 number.

Good luck

Date: December 16, 2018 12:21AM

Yes sir, this is the number I have been calling tel:1-360-225-2211, which I believe you provided. I’ll try right away Monday morning.

Thanks

Date: December 17, 2018 12:22PM

I just called and got through! So looks like best time to call is early in the week around the time they open. 9PST

They did say it’s best to email, because they get high call volumes. Support@edgerods.com is the email Scarlett gave me.

Some rods are in inches and some are evidently metric. The blank should ship out before Xmas.

Thanks for the help!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster