I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grips for heavy Saltwater rods
Posted by: Michael Nichols (---.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2018 06:30PM

I am new to the EVA foam grips, been using cork, cork tape and Hypolon for 55 yrs. building rods. I have some very large diameter rods I need to put grips on, and only EVA is big enough. I always had enough
strength to push any size grip on, and I usually heated them first, to make them easier to work/stretch on (Hypolon). However, I am older now (very) and I have had a back operation, and have little grip or arm strength.

Can I use some heat to soften the EVA to assist me to get it on? I heated Hypolon for 30 sec. in the microwave or put them in very hot water to enable me to stretch them easily.

What is your opinion, rod builders? Also... can I cut and shape (sand) it easily, as can be done with Hypolon?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 06:51PM by Michael Nichols.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grips for heavy Saltwater rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2018 09:02PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2018 08:23AM

Michael,
Although it is pretty common for folks to stretch a grip to put on a rod, it is also very common to ream out the grip and simply glue it on the rod in a fashion identical to putting a cork grip on the rod.

Obtain and or make reamers that are appropriate for what you are doing. Ream out the grip to be just a touch smaller than the grip and then, after slathering the rod with cement, slip the grip in place. Wipe off the excess and move on.

You can look at some of the videos that Billy V has put out to see the techniques for turning and creating beautiful grips from the materials of which you ask.

By the way, I do all of my reaming using power. i.e. power drills to spin devices that I use to ream. I have a full selection of circular files that I have assembled over the years that take care of reaming jobs.
I also have a full selection of various sized aircraft extension bits that are two feet long for drilling out the inside of grips. I normally spend less than 5 minutes to prep a grip before gluing to the rod.

Best of luck

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2018 01:32AM

Mike, If you have on old rod that you can sacrifice, strip it down cut it in three equal pieces, glue 1" wide 60 grit sandpaper strips spiraled up each blank piece to be used as reamers. If you want to make power reamers of them , get some PC-7 epoxy and flatten one end of 1/4" round stock , coat with the PC-7 and insert into reamers as center as possible. After they cure you can chuck in a drill and power ream all the EVA you need to.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster