I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying stickers on NFC X-Ray blank
Posted by: Aaron Arnold (---.lightspeed.vypkmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2018 09:03AM

Hey guys! Long time lurker, but 1st time poster. I'm building a rod for my father for Christmas and using the new NFC X-Ray blank. I don't typically apply decals but am adding one to this build. Has anyone applied a decal to this blank? The ridges make me a little nervous that I may need to sand the blank down before applying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying stickers on NFC X-Ray blank
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2018 10:22AM

POINT Blank is lightly sanded and has tiny ridges as well. I coat of finish or a coat of finish over a thread base will give you a smooth surface for decals.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2018 11:50AM

On any blank,a decal is best applied on a first coat of epoxy. If ridges are prominent a light sanding in the decal area would be good.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 06, 2018 03:28PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On any blank,a decal is best applied on a first
> coat of epoxy. If ridges are prominent a light
> sanding in the decal area would be good.

X2. I apply them all the time. You can get by without sanding but you may need to put more than one coat of epoxy on.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2018 05:09PM

Here's the thing with the X Ray blanks. If you sand the blank, there will be a color change. The sanded area will look notably different than the stock color.

I am in the process of building on my first X Ray blank. I wasn't a fan of the way the unsanded blank felt, so I sanded the entire blank. If you haven't started the build yet, sand an area that will be covered by a grip or the reel seat. That way you'll see what I'm talking about. It's hard to describe the color change, but the sanded blank will be lighter in color.

I know if it were me and the build was complete, except for the decal, I'd follow the advice of Jim and Phil, and coat the blank with epoxy to smooth it prior to putting on the decal.

On a separate note..... those X ray blanks are amazing, aren't they? Crazy good!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: December 06, 2018 06:15PM

Honestly I just put the label on and epoxied it. No muss no fuss no problem. Done it on about half dozen delta blanks which have larger ridges than the x rays and have done it on 4 x Rays so far with no issues.

Date: December 06, 2018 06:57PM

Thanks for the info! I have a spare decal in case I screw up the first one, but I like the thin epoxy option. The blank feels nice. I love my HM blanks, and I'm excited to see how the X-ray fishes.

Date: December 06, 2018 10:09PM

Aaron, and Thomas, when you say label or decal, do you mean a personalized decal, or one that came with your blank? I ask because if it's one that came with the blank, I didn't get one with my blank. Just curious.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2018 10:37PM

All NFC blanks I have ordered came with a blank decal, giving blank model and specs. If you want one contact NFC I sure they will send you the one you need.
Norm

Date: December 07, 2018 09:20AM

My question was about a personalized decal, but the blank did have one from NFC.

Date: December 07, 2018 03:48PM

Thanks Norman and Aaron. I'm going to have to give them a call.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: December 07, 2018 04:27PM

I have received some blanks from Northfork without labels... took em six months to get em but I did get em eventually. Bingham was the instrumental player in making this happen. This was prior to them going direct to the public

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2018 12:21AM

My most recent North Fork Blank didn't come with a label. I feel like I was jipped.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2018 08:14PM

My most recent order was for a X-ray dropshot blank and the sj736. Both came labeled as sj736's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster