I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod guide recommendation
Posted by: Mike Hubbard (---.williams-int.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 01:31PM

Please excuse the green-horn question.

I've built just two rods so far. I fishing only with flies, so I don't build anything but fly rods. I'm very please with the results. But being so new, I really don't know what components to buy or where to get them. I'm doing alright with everything but guides.

I've been buying Fuji guides at Cabela's. I bought guides with a ceramic insert, but don't have a clue what they where. I sent my wife after some more for a new rod I am working on.... and lets just say I won't be buying from Cabela's anymore. I can never find the same thing twice.

Could some of you guys with some experience give me some pointers? I'm not really to the point yet that I want to spend $30 on a set of guide. That doesn't seem completely out of line, but the $10 sets I have been buying are working very well. If there is a huge difference though, I'd be interested to hear.

I'm a utilitarian type of guy. I'll take function over flash any day of the week. I'm really not into flashy gold hardware. I much prefer black. I do put some really nice handle wraps on, but I don't like the idea of swinging flashy metal on the end of a rod. It may not make a bit of difference, but that's what I am sticking with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod guide recommendation
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 20, 2001 02:17PM

I've had great success with Fuji Alconite single foot fly guides. Can't beat em for the price versus quality. Also, DON'T buy from big "outdoor" stores. They want sales. Use the links to the left and these vendors will talk with you about your needs and are very knowledgable in setup and components. Plus, their prices are more than likely cheaper than "the others". My opinion, you can't go wrong with Fuji, I would only use the Alconites, SICs, or Ceremets. Just my opinion.

Black Guides
Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel Service (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 20, 2001 06:02PM

Mike,
Certainly you are entitled to preferences, and with guide sales, whether the big outdoor stores or the smaller suppliers like us the black framed guides with black rings outsell the more expensive colored (flashy) guides. You're not alone. And it's not necessarily a utilitarian aspect. Some like gunsmoke, gold, polished chrome, titanium colored, or even some newer blue sheen guides. It's all preference, some materials have particular functions as well. Take Ceremet for example. It's a gold metal/ceramic ring and quite expensive in some major brands. Beauty is to the beholder.

I can appreciate the use of black frame/black ring guides and one can build a beautiful and functional custom rod showing this most popular 'color'. Some brands like Forecast or Pac Bay will save you money with the standard black framed hardloy ring and serve you over the long haul. Many, many successful rods have been built using these guides and hold up. Alconite has a hype factor for good reasons basically through advertising budgets, but many many successful rods have been built with these also. Which is 'better'??
That question may be forever debated. Just use what you think works for you and if saving money works for you too, there are alternatives.

One thing related to color choice, and that's performance. Black framed won't improve performance on it's own, but with the frame shape and less weight, harder or smoother ceramic ring materials performance can certainly be enhanced whether color is a choice or not. Even black SiC rings may have a utilitarian appearance, but not necessarily cheap. You still pay for the material and the performance.

my two cents.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Alconites
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 08:04PM

The Fuji Alconites are your best bang for the buck. Should be able to get a set for $15 or so and they will last virtually forever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster