I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Toddler Fishing Pole
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2018 11:23AM

Hey guys my little guy 3yrs old wants his own fishing rod, but doesn’t want one of the cheap ones u seen at the stroes, can’t blame him. Figured I would him his own with some spare guides and cork etc from other builds. Ordered him a red blank from MudHole and was trying to determine how long to make it before I cut it down to size. He will be approaching 4 next summer and figure he uses this a few years before he graduates up to a longer rod. Don’t wanna go too short and also don’t wanna go too long, my though was around 39”???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toddler Fishing Pole
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2018 11:54AM

More information! Spinning, casting, fly? Type of fish after? Waters?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2018 12:09PM

Jay,
4 feet is a nice length.
Likely the best setup is a spin casting reel and seat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2018 12:10PM

p.s.
If it was my child, I would pick up a $10 rod from the store and then put his name on the rod.

I expect that putting his name on the rod would be the best part of the rod for the child.

Be safe

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 03, 2018 12:16PM

I agree with Roger that 4' is a good length.
You might want to consider wrapping for an "under-spin reel" (spinning set up)
That makes it user friendly like a push-button, but easy to hold since the weight is under the rod like a spin reel.
Then you can change later on to a true "open face" spin reel.
What I've noticed is that sometimes smaller hands have trouble holding a trigger/push-button set-up.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 03, 2018 12:20PM

Jay

I built a spinning rod for my grand daughter because the Snoopy and Frozen toy rods just don't cut it. I got a CRB light blank (IS701l) from Mud Hole. I cut the but end off and had a total length of 5ft 4 inches. The fore grip and the butt are burl cork with a #16 Fuji reel seat total length is 10.5 inches.The guides are Chome Pac bay minima 4 guides. Trimmed with Pink thread. Topped off with a Browning BSL750C reel, 6lb test mono.

I built it when she was 4 and at that time needed some help and instruction, she is now 8 and is very proficient at casting and catching fish.

Starting children with inferior and cheap equipment could be discouraging and turn them off on fishing,

Enjoy your fishing time with your little guy.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Rodgeeks Rod Blanks (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2018 01:59PM

Jay,

We designed our 42" blank (C236M) to perform to the standards of adult fishermen, but it also makes the perfect kid rod because they can continue to use it their whole life.

[rodgeeks.com]

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: December 03, 2018 02:37PM

Yeah - I don't mind building him a rod, plus I am not looking at getting him some cheap rod that I will spend 30 bucks on that wont last more than a season. This being said, I have most the components already, so it is not like it was a big deal. I agree with John the snoopy rods at the store just seemed like it would lessen the experience, my nephews grew up on those type rods and they were always a mess when u caught a fish or went to cast. Was going to consider just doing a pistol grip with a push button reel, but the underspin is intriguing with regards to his ability to be able to hold the rod easier. Good tip Ron, I will look into that today.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 03, 2018 03:30PM

Look for a FIBER GLASS not carbon on the first rod , ?? the glass rod is more forgiving for a first rod [ harder ti break ] I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 04, 2018 03:11PM

a 5 foot rod would be fine as he will hit a growth spur turning 4 and will be a couple inches taller with that said it will fit him well till he is 9 or 10 yes old but that is just my opinion

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2018 03:18PM

I made my 3 year old Great Grandson just what he asked for "a real rod like yours", a 7' 6-10 lb. composite spinning rod that he fishes from the beach and docks. He likes to take it out in his back yard to practice casting. You might be surprised at how well these little guys handle a regular size outfit. See a picture in my gallery.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: December 04, 2018 07:14PM

Jay, when my son was 4 he was using one of my old curado 100d’s that I had tightened up the cast controls on an old castaway 7’er and could routinely hit a target the size of a 55 gal drum lid with either “his” crankbaits or spinnerbait. Took a little patience but now the little fart is ten and can darn near flawlessly skip a jig under dock cables on lake of the Ozarks. I really think there are days he is better at it than I am.

Point of all this is spend as much time it’s him as you can, be patient, most importantly don’t expect to fish much when you have your new partner with you. The best reward is watching them grow and improve with each outing.

Best of luck with your project.

Tom

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2018 12:51PM

Can’t wait guys, he’s my best friend and really look forward gettin him hooked on fishing.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: December 10, 2018 04:09PM

So I cut down the blank to 4 feet in length, and chose to do the under spin setup, so down the road we can convert him to spinning.... I have an assortment of left over FUJI KLH guides left over, actually too many haha. I do my builds on Microwave guides now, so I rarely use the conventional style layouts... Was trying to determine the guide sizes for this short of a rod. Any advice

Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: December 12, 2018 07:54AM

Jay Burns Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I cut down the blank to 4 feet in length, and
> chose to do the under spin setup, so down the road
> we can convert him to spinning.... I have an
> assortment of left over FUJI KLH guides left over,
> actually too many haha. I do my builds on
> Microwave guides now, so I rarely use the
> conventional style layouts... Was trying to
> determine the guide sizes for this short of a rod.
> Any advice

I don't think length matters on spinning rods for the reduction train. Just the line size and the reel size. I would build it for the size reel and line you intend to ultimately put on there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster