I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question reguarding feather inlays
Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: December 02, 2018 07:10PM

This isnt a question about how to do inlays, but rather a question on feathers i guess... Theres enough information on how to do it out there already..

I havent tried yet.. So and im a bit limited on experimentation time with this particular build, i do plan on trying it on my test rod first though.. But if what im asking isnt really something thats practical to accomplish i wont waste the time on this build and play with it later...

Can you manipulate feathers like ostrich, or peacock into a flowing shape? Like the quills pointing inwards toward each other, at a 45° angle.. And the shaft of the feathers arching in a loop along the sides back towards each other for about 2/3 the length, not crossing.. (Or crossing acually) and the last 1/3 in a tighter circle with the tips coming back to a 90° point, getting close, but not connecting?

I undertand the symmetry is going to be extremly difficult, so i would choose 2 barbules with near identical natural bends...

Possible?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question reguarding feather inlays
Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.sub-174-219-1.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2018 08:11PM

I use color preserver to manipulate the feathers to how I want them on my builds. They do look pretty slick along some snake skin on a rod!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2018 08:35PM

How much you can manipulate the feathers depends upon their flexibility. Wetting them and placing them with CP is the way to go.

trial and error practice will give you valuable feedback as to the types of feathers to select and the amount movement you can give them.

Date: December 02, 2018 10:50PM

Awesome.. I have a vision that burning a hole in my brain with this build..

For how soft and wafty the ostrich hurl is, i should be able to achieve this i think...

Ive not seen feathers placed in this manner, hence the question.. As im sure you guys know, you usually see inlays placed static to how the feather is nauturally.. Usually looking like a a "burst"...

And a question about CP.. I have it, havent used it yet.. Ever.. The location of the inlay is over colorfast thread.. Must i still soak the surrounding thread? Its a split grip section, about 8" long.. The feathers would be in an area around 3.5" ill coat the area if its suggested, i hear alot of nightmares about blotchy thread with improper application.. This is also over metallic thread... And i have proseal

Date: December 03, 2018 01:43AM

Cool.. Just laid some thread down on "frankie" (thats my test rod) put the ostrich hurl down.. And i can do exactly what i planned.. Atleast on Colorfast Nylon.. I can only assume over a metallic it will respond the same.. Thanks guys.. Thats going to take this rod up a level..

For you cp guys.. Will cp work over vynl? Or will it fish eye.. I dont have any scraps lying around for testing.. I know the thread epoxy sits fine ontop, i used it on one kf my first builds..

Reason i ask is this rod is going to have a 3/4 inch biohazard symbol on it as well.. I was going to do a weave, but was convinced by my wife that vynl is a "sure thing"
As ive never attempted an image weave before..

Oh, and yeah.. I see ill definatly have to coat all the split grip section with CP.. Leaves an obvious footprint

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 02:01AM by Anthony Unger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster