I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding Carbon Fiber
Posted by: Steven Corvin (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2018 08:04AM

Appreciate any tips on sanding carbon fiber grips. I'm having trouble on the rear of the grips to get the nub of the core down enough so the rubber winding check fits flush against the grip. Been using CFX grips and don't want to ruin one at $12 a pop. Been looking at the kits from Mud Hole for making your own. Just looking at the kit process I would think you might have a even greater problem with getting the ends not to taper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding Carbon Fiber
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2018 10:01AM

Normally, for issues as you are experiencing usually the use of fresh sharp sand paper and a backing board will take care of the issue.

When working with different grips, one of the things that I like to use with good results is adhesive backed sand paper and can be attached to a thin piece of plywood as a backing board.

For example:
[www.homedepot.com]

Paint mixing sticks make a nice backing board:

[www.homedepot.com]

In small quantities, the store gives the sticks away.

For some cases, the use of a jewelers file is also of a great aid to clean up edges and insure that the surface is flat.

Depending on whether the grip is on a mandrel or on a rod blank one can often get all of the clean up work completed when the grip is on a mandrel spinning at a good rate of speed on a lathe. This may or may not apply to your particular situation.

p.s.
A lot of folks that use carbon core grips don't worry about the ends of the grip.
Rather, they just cover the ends of the grips with a different material to cover the raw ends of the grip and not have to worry about having the ends of the grip cleaned up.

Best wishes

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2018 10:17AM

A Dremel with a small sanding wheel works well. Or, and this worked well for me, just lay a piece of sandpaper on a hard flat surface and hold the grip vertical while moving it back and forth. It works well and if you nick the fiber sleeve it isn't that noticeable, and it won't fray the sleeve. The sleeves are completely whetted out when they are laid up. That means the individual fibers are bonded to each other.

As far as building your own using the CFX kit goes, it takes some planning, but it's fun. I've made one full grip and one little nub. As long as you watch the outside diameters of the pieces you're sleeving, meaning don't go smaller than the sleeve is capable of going down to, the sleeve pulls over edges quite nicely.

Below are pictures of the grip and nub (small fore grip) that I made using the CFX kit.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steven Corvin (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2018 01:10PM

Thanks for the tips. My concern was roughing up the carbon fibers taking it down.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2018 01:14PM

Carbon has much better sanding manners than does glass. You shouldn't have any problem.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-174-216-25.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2018 10:06PM

Do it all the time. Roger is right use a sanding board and either push or pull in one direction. If you go back and forth you can put a slight round to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster