I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod tops
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2018 03:40PM

Is there a "better" top for a 5 wt fly rod than the REC titanium loop top with the al tube? I used to us Fuji titanium with the gold ring and have one, but it seems heavier. Is the ring material worth the extra weight in the top?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod tops
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 30, 2018 05:06PM

I don't know of a tiptop I'd rather have on my 5 than the REC.

But any brand wire loop tiptop will work fine, and be lighter than a ceramic ring tiptop, I believe. We have some real fly experts on here, so I'm sure more to come from some knowledgeable people.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2018 08:24PM

Bill

My question for you is exactly what do you hope to accomplish?

In a salt water environment is difficult to imagine anything better than an REC Ti tip top. But a 5 weight is mid weight with limited usefulness in the salt. For a 7 weights and less I use the Snake Brand tip tops which I think a quality product, and REC Ti tip tops for 8 weights and above. Never had a problem with either, and tip top replacement is quick and easy.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2018 08:30PM

For a 5wt rod used primarily in fresh water (does not need to be exclusive) any brand of wire tip tops will work fine. Large loop is preferred by many. All the major suppliers on the left have them. I build only fly rods and use mostly Batson products.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2018 03:40AM

Bill,
A simple wire loop works very well and is very light.

Use tip top cement to adhere it to the blank.

Keep some spares on hand and if you ever have an issue, just pop a new one on the rod in about a minute.

Good luck

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2018 10:57AM

Thanks. Gonna go with the REC tip. I thought the insert tip might be better for playing fish, etc. but have decided the fine tip of the rod puts so little force on the rod that there probably will not be any difference. Had a tip in the drawer anyway. Gonna have to order another couple for the build it was intended for. I do use heat based top cement and use Tom's method of over wrapping to secure it. Never had one come loose

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2018 11:49AM

Bill
You will have a problem buying an REC tip-top with aluminum tube.
they were discontinued a couple of years ago in favor of stainless. Not as light as aluminum. I bought-up all I could.
What size do you need?
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 03, 2018 01:34PM

I weighed standard large and medium Fly tip tops and they are heavier than Fuji SS framed Alconite or Ti SIC. The aluminum tube RECs are lighter though, but are kinda of ugly. I have used them on a few builds and really after it is all put together you can hardly tell how ugly they are.

Posted by: chris adams (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2018 10:30AM

Never been a big fan of the REC tops, the nicest ones I have found and use are the Snake Brand fly tops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster