I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Request for a build need advice
Posted by: David Tenney (---.sub-174-195-133.myvzw.com)
Date: November 28, 2018 10:45AM

I did a search first but didnt really find any current info

I have a request from a guy I work with to build him a one piece 8-9’ saltwater spinning rod for throwing plugs up to 3oz off of piers. I am still a greenhorn at rod building but I feel confident I can build him a solid rod with standard wraps which is all he wants. I am a freshwater bass guy and everything I have built so far has been for bass fishing applications.

How about some suggestions on blanks and components for the salt water rod above? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Request for a build need advice
Posted by: Seth Johnson (151.142.219.---)
Date: November 28, 2018 11:32AM

What are you targeting?

Date: November 28, 2018 12:11PM

He said king mackerel and will probably use 40 pound braid.

Date: November 28, 2018 12:44PM

Possibly a stupid question, but what is a plug and how do you work it?

Date: November 28, 2018 12:49PM

Plug = Lure

Sounds like rapalas and swimbaits from what he described. Various retrieves and presentations.

Date: November 28, 2018 01:19PM

Sorry, I meant what type of lure is a plug. Google says it's a regional term, so what I would call a crankbait. If that's the case, you probably want a Moderate or Moderate Fast action. Here are some blanks I found that might work:

Revelation Rainshaodw REVSU80M-DB or REVSU90M-2DB, MHX CB968-MHX, and Phenix MX-UR80MH-B.

If he wants a fast action rod, then you have a ton of options.

MHX MU96MH-MHX, U1087F-MHX, SU965F-MHX, SU1085F-MHX
St. Croix 2M80MHF, 4M86MHF, 4M80MHF, 2SW80HF, 2M86MHF, 3SW80HF
Phenix SMX-82ML-B
Revelation Rainshadow REVM810MH-GBY

On components, it all depends on budget. For inshore, I like the Fuji Corrosion Control Alconite guides. If he wants the best corrosion resistance, then go with the Titanium SiC. If he wants to spend all his money, Titanium Torzite is even better and lighter. I would build a KR concept rod with a KL25H, KL12H, KL5.5M reduction train and then KB to KT running guides of 4.5 if he's not using a leader and 5 if he is.

On the seat, I like Fuji VSS for spinning rods. I would do at least a 16-15 but would probably use a 17 because the butts of those rods are pretty big. Grips are going to be up to the customer, they all work in salt.

Date: November 28, 2018 01:22PM

There are several Lamiglas blanks that look like they fit the bill too

Date: November 28, 2018 02:13PM

Ok thank you, will have a look.

Date: November 28, 2018 02:28PM

I am thinking moderate to moderate fast as he wants to be able to load the rod to make long casts.

Date: November 28, 2018 03:01PM

Just realized the 9' Rainshadow I listed, REVSU90M-2DB, is a two piece. The 8', REVSU80M-DB, is one piece and looks like it would suit you well. The Phenix looks good too. The MHX is only rated to 2.5 oz, so you would have to talk to someone who has used it.

I don't see any moderate or moderate fast 9' 1 piece blanks. Maybe someone else has a recommendation.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: November 28, 2018 03:56PM

Lamiglas GSB108-1M.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 28, 2018 04:55PM

You've gotten advice on the blanks, but not mentioned is a big issue on a rod like this, especially since you, and I, are inexperienced at building and using a rod like this. Consider the issue to be ergonomics. What reel seat size? Should be an 18 IMO for a good solid grip. Length from the reel stem to the butt? Too long and the butt will get tangled in the clothing. I suggest when you decide on a blank and seat, you tape the seat on and have the customer come in and try what you propose. From both the reason mentioned and and the issue of two handed casting. You could even have the guides taped on and using his reel and line, cast his lure. Fore grip? I would think a 3 inch foregrip would be in order.

Got a plan for guide train? I think a large reel will be used, so recommend you take a look at high guides, like the Fuji KLH. See the Anglers REsource catalog for appropriate reduction guides. The new corrosion control guides are not expensive and are supposed to have better than normal corrosion resistance, almost titanium.

Use a SIC tiptop-that's where the most likely grooving will take place.

Posted by: David Tenney (---.sub-174-196-137.myvzw.com)
Date: November 28, 2018 06:15PM

Sound advice thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster