I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DIY Power Wrapper
Posted by: Salvatore Fristachi (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2018 08:49AM

I'm putting together a rod wrapper with various parts I've accumulated. I have the motor (Dayton #2M066A, 1/15hp, AC/DC, 5000 rpm, 115V), Foot Pedal (Mercury Electric 229D Speed Control rated 1.2A - 115V), Pacific Bay Dryer Motor RDM-1 (AC 120V, 50/60 hz, 3.8W, 36 rpm, CW/CCW) and a Pacific Bay RW-1-CHUCK. I bought these parts at an estate sale. I mounted them on a CRB aluminum base. My next step is to enclose the electrical wiring in a box & install a SPDT (single Pole- Double Throw) switch to either turn on the wrapper/foot pedal or dryer motor.

I checked the dryer motor RPM and it turns the large aluminum pulley about 10 RPM. From what I've read, that's a good drying speed so I don't plan to regulate the dryer motor speed. I'll just flip the switch and let it spin at 10 rpm.

I see the commercial wrappers have a rheostat or motor control on the electric box. Is that to control the wrapper motor RPM so that you can't so too fast when pressing down on the foot pedal.

Should I install this in the electrical box between the switch and foot pedal?

I never used a power wrapper before so my apologies if I'm asking a dumb question. LOL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DIY Power Wrapper
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 28, 2018 11:41AM

The speed control should be on the wrapping motor and placed between the foot peddle and the motor. The motor speed needs to be regulated so that it has the ability to start from stationary to very slow to faster with the foot peddle. That speed needs to be tuned to your ability (the reason for the speed control). If you have a way to reverse the motor, that would be helpful but it is not necessary. The motor when stationary should not move easily so that it will hold tension on the tread when wrapping. I would also recommend you get the Alps rod wrapping upgrade chuck, really nice and a very good value for the quality..

Posted by: Salvatore Fristachi (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: November 28, 2018 12:02PM

Is there a particular speed control recommended that would work with my particular motor and pedal?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 28, 2018 01:34PM

You want to use one that is rated for the maximum voltage of the motor or the full-load amperage at maximum torque.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2018 05:09PM

Salvatore,
The items you have picked up can work for a wrapper.

The foot pedal is a very simple pedal that uses a carbon pile resistor to control the speed. In your items, this will be a weak link. It will work for a while and may work very a very long time.

The control that you need to put in between the power and the foot pedal can be a simple light dimmer from a big box store.

This one would likely work all right:

[www.homedepot.com]

But, before you mount any electronics permenantely, you want to temporarily wire things together and test the system to be sure that everything works together in the way that you want it to work.

===========================
I do suspect that even if this setup works now, you might eventually wish to go to an electronic foot pedal. A good electronic foot pedal will normally give you an overall smoother and more consistent speed control.

Down the road, if you decide to change the pedal, you might consider this electronic pedal which is very high quality and gives very excellent speed control for a long period of time:

[www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster