I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow blanks
Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.rstr.qwest.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 01:27AM

I'm looking to build a few fly rods. I'm looking at a F793-2 7'9" 3wt 2pc Fly Blank and a F908-2 9' 8wt 2pc Fly Blank both by Rainshadow.The 8 wt I plan on using for a pike build. Does anyone know anything about these blanks? As far as reliability?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 06:32AM

I have built six RS fly rods, 2 Eternities, 1 RX8, 1 RX7, ,2 RX6 from 3 wt to 9 wt, from 2 piece to 4 piece. No problems with any, and a few have seen some pretty hard use on bonefish. I will never make a 2 piece 9 foot rod again as the 4 piece rods are so easy to transport and I can see no functional disadvantage to 4 piece over 2. All are at the top end of the power rating per CCS evaluations and with my not being an expert long distance caster, I like them with a +1 line weight.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 25, 2018 10:31AM

I agree with your preference for 4-piece fly rods and their performance. I also up-line my rods by one weight. Fly rod / fly rod blank companies use the same scheme as fishing line companies to market their products: "Strongest 10-pound-test line anywhere!" - because the line actually breaks at 16 pounds. - "Most powerful 7-weight rod made!" - because it has the ERN of an 8-weight.

Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.rstr.qwest.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 11:39AM

Are these like most newer ones that are tip over butt for the ferrule style?

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2018 11:45AM

I've built a couple of Eternities, an RX and several of their spin blanks. All have served me well and I'll likely continue to use their product line. Along with that they have outstanding customer service. I'll also agree that it is so much easier to transport 4pc blanks. You won't go wrong choosing any of the Rainshadow product line.........

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 01:34PM

I have a bunch RX6 and 7 fly rods out there, all are well used an loved. A couple are over 10 years old and used by people who work summers counting fish on isolated islands in Alaska. They flat hammer those rods, none have failed.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 03:15PM

Regarding ferrules, yes, all their rods and others being sold today to my knowledge have the ferrule style you describe. There might be some other brand outliers, but I don't know of them.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 03:35PM

Sleeve Over / Tip Over Butt is used by nearly all for carbon fiber blanks. Sage at one time did use spigot / internal ferrules but unknown to me if they do now. Spigot ferrules are still common for glass rods.

The carbon fiber resins and technology have improved to the point that you give up nothing with sleeve over ferrules, even for 4 to 7 piece rods, and some manufacturers claim ferrule reinforcing wraps are not needed for their ferrules.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2018 03:41PM

I likely repeat much of what you got above, but here goes.

All models of the Rainshadow line are excellent quality and very reliable! The model selection depends upon your application and budget. The "F" series is the low end cost wise and the most moderate action and power. I really like it for light weight rods, but prefer the Eternity 2 and Revelation for heavier weight like the 8.

Yes all are tip over ferrules. And like many above I much prefer 4 piece and in fact have not built a 2 piece in 10 years. I only build fly rods.

Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.sub-174-219-1.myvzw.com)
Date: November 30, 2018 06:53PM

So I got my rods in today. The tips of each rods have a slight bow to them. Nothing huge but still noticable when looking straight down the tip. Is there a way to somehow straighten these?

Posted by: rick sodke (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 03, 2018 04:21PM

No. Just build them so that the bow is up. The weight of components will straighten the blank somewhat.

Posted by: Ryan Janos (---.sonoma-county.org)
Date: December 10, 2018 05:41PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I likely repeat much of what you got above, but
> here goes.
>
> All models of the Rainshadow line are excellent
> quality and very reliable! The model selection
> depends upon your application and budget. The "F"
> series is the low end cost wise and the most
> moderate action and power. I really like it for
> light weight rods, but prefer the Eternity 2 and
> Revelation for heavier weight like the 8.
>
> Yes all are tip over ferrules. And like many above
> I much prefer 4 piece and in fact have not built a
> 2 piece in 10 years. I only build fly rods.

I built on these two blanks in the past year and fished the 8wt with a 30' 300gr. shooting head for stripers this weekend. It chucked line and a weighted fly just fine despite the moderate action. The RX6 on closeout is a @#$%& of a deal.

I'll also add that for some the 2 piece rods may appeal for cost savings, ease of build, and two less ferrules that may come apart while fishing (launched the top of my SP twice on Sunday) ...

Enjoy the ride!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster