I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

water spots on surf rods.
Posted by: Gary Michael (173.212.41.---)
Date: November 24, 2018 02:29PM

Recently returned from surf fishing trip, caught in rain storm several times during two weeks and now water spots on blanks. I gave the rods a good scrubbing with fiber brush and mild dish detergent, spots still there. I tried Gel-Gloss polish/cleaner to no joy. It has always worked in the past. The spots will scratch off with the fingernail. but that is alot of rod to scratch. Harnell, Lamiglas, St.croix , , it doesn't matter which brand of rod. These spots are on the blank as well as the epoxy over wrapping. Any ideas???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: water spots on surf rods.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2018 02:49PM

Boy, you don't want to see what steelhead and salmon drift rods look like under a layer of cured egg goo, add a few hundred scales and you have an organic traction device to keep your hands from slipping.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.103.---)
Date: November 24, 2018 02:53PM

They usually disappear on their own in my experience but not immediately . I know exactly what you're talking about though. Giving the blank a wax with a Carnuba based product will prevent water spotting in the future. I always used to confuse water spots with fish scales in the past , fish scales are easy to pop off the blank though.

Date: November 24, 2018 03:01PM

These rods are treated each season with gel-gloss before putting up for the winter.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.103.---)
Date: November 24, 2018 03:08PM

Don't know anything about "Gel-gloss " so can't say anything about it but even with a Carnuba waxing if it's really wet my surf rods still suffer from the same thing . I freaked the first time i saw it because i thought it was permanent but it's not .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 24, 2018 06:43PM

I presume you are rinsing well after salt water use.

I keep my black boat looking like new by first cleaning the spots off with a dilute mixture of CLR. After that cleaning, which works well, all that is necessary is wiping it down with Lucas Slick Mist Speed wax after each use. Spray it on, wipe it off. No need for the CLR cleanings after the first one.; For rods I would think wetting a rag with it and wiping the rods would do it.

Date: December 05, 2018 09:32AM

These spots are fresh water spots from rain while on vacation as these rods were stored on 2nd floor deck away from prying eyes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster