I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding a similar blank
Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (---.kngwcmtk03.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 21, 2018 04:52PM

Gents, first off Happy Thanksgiving to all and I sincerely appreciate all the valuable info from the website over the last two years. Always a good read. So here’s what I’ve been thinking about for a few weeks….a while back I wrapped for myself an MHX CB843 and a Rainshadow IMMP70M. Both are great for throwing jigs, spoons and flukes down on the Tx coast. Very similar in performance for me. So here’s my question…..If I walked into a rod store carrying, let say the P70M. And in the store were hundreds of marked and unmarked blanks from all the manufacturers. And I had with me a tape, a set of calipers, and scale and any other tool I could carry for a side-to-side comparison of specs. How would I find a blank that I would be reasonably sure it would perform like the P70M. Obviously measuring and looking for a blank with the same length, weight, butt, tip, etc would be a start. But then what? How do you make a objective side-by-side comparison for the other blank manufacturing properties that you can’t measure with a tool in the store such as power and action? Bend them against a corner? Bounce the tips off the floor? Poke the ceiling. Whip thru the air? Cut the check and hope for the best? Anyway I have to get back to the rod shack and bend/bounce some more blanks. Thoughts and feedback always appreciated. Everyone be safe. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding a similar blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2018 05:46PM

The CCS would do it, but you run into a similar difficulty as only a small number of manufacturers provide those type across the board specs.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 21, 2018 06:43PM

I think you are doing the best you can since objective specs are not available. Whipping a graphite rod through the air will provide no information. Really big butt diameters for the length of the blank usually indicate a magbass or extra-fast action, but not infallible. If the store has a carpeted floor you can gain a little info on power and action by flexing the blank with the tip on the floor. The most accurate info on most rods and blanks, I believe, is the lure weight recommended. If you eliminate from consideration blanks well outside your target blanks, then you have a chance of evaluating power and action from the methods you intend to use and adding flexing against the floor.

But it's at best a crap shoot.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2018 09:00PM

Only by testing blanks side by side for CCS data will you get a true and accurate comparisons.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2018 08:25AM

If you built your own CCS rig and the source would accept returns, you could cull their blanks as you now are, take some home, return the ones that didn't fit your requirements.

I test every blank I get on my CCS rig. Power and action angle, not frequency. Really helpful to have the data. Some brands do give data, Quickline, Point Blank, and some will, on request, provide it.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2018 07:40PM

Larry,
If you have truly found the "Magic" blank, then by all means run the CCS and keep repeating the same thing. I had gotten in a groove a few years back looking for that same repeatable formula and then it occurred to me that maybe I was stuck and by not trying different things I was missing something. So I started thinking outside my box and trying different guide configurations, spacing, blanks...everything. It fundamentally changed the way I build rods. Don't be afraid to experiment and try different things; you just might find something better.
Lance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster