I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone have ERN for F106-4-MHX?
Posted by: rick sodke (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 21, 2018 03:14PM

Mudhole doesn't list CCS values for their 10 foot blanks. I previously asked them and they said that they didn't have them.

For Coho Salmon I am currently using a Sage One 5 wt 9'6" rod with 6 weight shooting head lines and am finding it still too stiff (ERN: 6.9, AA:72, CCF:83 as a 6wt).
Based on other Mudhole blanks I know that the ERN and CCF are better matched for my casting style (crappy). I am looking for power in the low 7's with a lower CCF as a 6wt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone have ERN for F106-4-MHX?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2018 03:39PM

Trying to understand your numbers - an ERN in the low 7's is going to be more stiff than the rod you say is already too stiff (ERN 6.9).

Date: November 21, 2018 05:33PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trying to understand your numbers - an ERN in the
> low 7's is going to be more stiff than the rod you
> say is already too stiff (ERN 6.9).
>
> ...........

When most people talk about the rod action they are really talking about responsiveness. Overlining a rod has minimal impact on AA but a huge impact on CCF (feel).
When I say stiff I mean responsive.
My current rod is actually overpowered on longer casts with the line I am using but is still so stiff that my cast cadence must be faster than I would like.
Hence I want a rod with more power and less responsiveness than what I have now.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2018 05:44PM

Okay, action is created mostly by rod taper. It doesn't change regardless of anything you do related to casting weight or casting cadence.

I assumed that by "stiff" you meant "power."

So you're actually referring to rod "speed" which is what the CCF measures in relative terms. So yes, going by that, I understand you want a rod that is more powerful/stiffer but that has a slower response speed. The way to get that might be to move to a different material. Power or stiffness won't be affected by the material the rod is made from, but the speed of the rod will be greatly affected by the material. Maybe all you need to do is back down one notch on the carbon level to get what you want.

Date: November 21, 2018 06:03PM

Exactly. The Sage "Konnetic" material used in the One is probably the wrong material.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2018 08:57PM

I think you will find what you want in the MHX fly blank. I too find the action of the Sage One less than desirable in many fishing conditions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.45.---)
Date: November 22, 2018 12:55PM

Might look at the Batson RX7 blanks, their 10 ft. 2 pc. are well regarded with people who like a more relaxed rod. The 8 wt. especially has been a favorite, but many in Northern CA like the lighter sticks for fishing optics flies for steelhead.

Date: November 22, 2018 06:54PM

Unfortunate that they don't have the 10 foot Revelation series in a 4 piece. 2 piece is of no use to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster