I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ceramic Guide sizes for Spin/Fly Combo
Posted by: Jason Le (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 11:38AM

Hey guys, looking to make a spin/fly combo with single food ceramic guides.
I know that the running guides need to have an inner diameter of at least 4.75-5mm, as I will be need to be able to run my loop to loop connections for my shooting heads.
Aside from that, I'm wondering what sizes would be needed for an 9 foot mid flexing 8 wt rod.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ceramic Guide sizes for Spin/Fly Combo
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 11:32PM

What size spinning reel and line?

Posted by: Jason Le (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 19, 2018 09:53AM

It's an ultralight saltwater rig, so 10-15lb fireline, with a 3000 sized reel I reckon.
Thanks!

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2018 02:20PM

Just use a microwave set, it works great

Ron Weber

Posted by: Jason Le (---.s2979.c3-0.wtr-cbr1.sbo-wtr.ma.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: November 19, 2018 02:52PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just use a microwave set, it works great

Don't get me wrong, I love microwave guides and have used them on my last build, but they're a little steep. I know that the airwaves offer a similar solution, but because I plan on using nanofil/fireline, I'm worried about grooving in the weaker inserts.
I also find the running guides to be too small for a loop to loop connection for some of my larger shooting heads. Ideally, my running guides would have a 5mm inner diameter

Posted by: Jason Le (---.s2979.c3-0.wtr-cbr1.sbo-wtr.ma.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: November 21, 2018 11:47PM

Does anyone know if guide height has anything to do with a fly line's ability to shoot?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2018 09:54AM

Jason,
The only reason that the height would have anything to do with your question was that if the guide height was such that it caused the line to rub on the blank. If it didn't cause the line to rub on the blank there should be minimal difference in guides of different heights.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 22, 2018 09:54AM

Jason,
IMO build the rod as a fly rod with fly guide train.
If the tip top grooves, over time, just replace the tip top with another fly top.
I don't recommend the use of inserted guides through the entire build, only the stripper guides.
Utilize double foot snakes for the rod mid section and single foot light wire titanium (recoil) for the rod tip with a standard loop top.
Casting as a spinning rod is less demanding than a fly rod. The ability to "feel" the cast stroke will enhance your casting.
I've cast several spin/fly and was sorely disappointed when using as a fly rod. These had insert guides throughout the build and the casting was slow, tedious and sloppy due to inadequate rod response.

Gene Moore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster