I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Method to Shorten NFC blank
Posted by: Sean Mitchell (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 11:32AM

So looking at HS821-1 HM blank from North Fork. .600" butt diameter, ex-fast. I'd really like to take 4-5" off the butt of this rod. What's the preferred method for shortening down rods so you don't accidentally put any stress fractures or cracks in it.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Method to Shorten NFC blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 11:43AM

I use a chop saw with an abrasive cut off wheel on it.

A dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel on it works equally well.

For example:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The picture is a miniature chop saw purchased from Harbor freight.
I removed the saw from its base and removed all of the raised markings on the base by using a belt sander. Then, I obtained a narrow piece of aluminum angle to use as a back stop and bolted it to the base at the center line of the motor shaft.
Finally, I remounted the saw to its base and replaced the saw blade with a 3 inch abrasive cut off wheel.

Lastely, I mounted the saw on a 2x base with rubber feet to give the saw some weight to remain stationary when using it.

This saw will easily cut a blank, piano wire or other similar materials.

-------------------------
[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is another chop saw that I have modified for use with an abrasive cut off wheel.
It started as an 8 inch chop saw. I modified the base by raising it and putting a backing bar on the saw. I added a light for ease of use and replaced the 8 inch blade with a thin tool room 8 inch abrasive wheel.
The nice thing about using a thin abrasive wheel, is that little material is removed from the item being cut, so the cutting goes quickly and cleanly.

Good luck

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 02:32PM

If you are very careful you can use a fine blade hack saw, the key is caution. As mentioned an abrasive wheel is best.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 02:48PM

I wrap tape around the area I want to cut and use my junky 10” Ryobi mitre saw and cut it. Perfect cut, no splintering every time

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 04:09PM

The problem with saws is that it is possible for a tooth to catch fibers and break them out. So tape is right, and the fastest, smallest/finest tooth saw moving very slowly will work. But not as reliable as a high speed abrasive wheel moving slowly through the blank.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 18, 2018 04:30PM

I take masking tape and wrap it where I want to cut the blank. I then take a Dremmel with a stone cut off wheel and carefully cut around the blank. I hold the Dremmel steady in one hand and with the other hand I steady the blank and slowly rotate the blank 360 deg and make very light cuts until it is cut all the way through.

It usually takes several revolutions to complete the cut. This method is a safe, quick and will not damage the blank.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 18, 2018 06:44PM

I use a 41/2" grinder with a cut-off wheel. Quite possibly one of the handiest power tools on earth if you're a fabricator/handyman sort of guy.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 06:58PM

DREMMEL tool an TAPE , make sure the tape is on tight, no matter what method you use to cut it off with always use tape & have it on tight , with a couple of wraps cheep insurance , I think

William Sidney
AK

Date: November 18, 2018 08:51PM

Michael I’ve never had a single problem with the saw. I do not force the blade through and take generally around 10 seconds to make the cut. I think slowly working through the blank may be why I’ve not had a problem. I only cut the butt and the area I cut is always under a grip. Maybe I have just been fortunate.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 09:47PM

No, your right Thomas, a miter saw works great, also cuts foam and cork grips straight, or at an angle cleanly.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2018 10:19AM

p.s.
If you use a chop saw or similar saw using a blade; remove the blade and put it on backward. The blade will still cut, although more slowly, but with the blade and the point of the tooth pointing in the direction opposite to the direction of blade rotation, the teeth will not catch on the rod blank and destroy it.

However, it is still better to use a blade with no teeth, in the form of an abrasive cut off wheel or a diamond saw blade that is normally used to cut ceramic tile. No teeth on the blade and no teeth to catch on the blank.

Good luck

p.s.
Here is a saw used to cut graphite and fiberglass arrow shafts. Essentially the same construction as fishing rod blanks.
Effectively, the saw is a 5,000 rpm motor with an abrasive cut off wheel mounted to the assembly and then a table to support the arrow shaft.

[www.meatprocessingproducts.com]

Date: November 19, 2018 05:56PM

Roger thank you for the suggestion

Posted by: Randy Hively (50.42.34.---)
Date: November 23, 2018 08:26AM

I use a small triangle file. With just a few times around the blank and it is done. You can finish with a flat file to make the cut straight if needed. There is no flying graphite particles.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2018 09:45PM

The small triangle file that Randy mentioned also works well for cutting the skin of carbon fiber grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster