I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper Size for Non-levelwind Reel
Posted by: Kevin Althoff (50.33.25.---)
Date: November 18, 2018 09:37AM

Question is about as simple as the title- I'm building a muskie rod with a Penn Fathom 15 as the reel and size 8 KW runners. I will do a decent amount of trolling with this setup but I have had good experiences casting with this reel and I want good casting characteristics out of this rod. I had decent results with some very old school guide trains on older factory rods but that's about all the experimentation I've been able to do. I have KW's on hand all the way up through size 16. What, if anything, is different about laying out a guide train for a non levelwind reel? Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper Size for Non-levelwind Reel
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 11:21AM

Kevin,

I might suggest that you set up your expected guide train with the setup you have in mine. Put them on the rod and wrap them, but do not do the final coating.

Then, go do a bunch of test casting and perhaps even do some trolling.

If you find that you are having issues with the line lay, and insuring that it lays nicely, Try putting a larger stripper guide in place and repeat. If still not happy, try a larger stripper guide and repeat.

Let us know what you find.

-------------

Or, you could do the reverse, start with a size 30 stripper guide and try out the rod and see if you are happy. If not, try a smaller guide size.

I am only making these suggestions, since I have 0 experience with a non-levelwind reel. However, I do know that when I see folks fishing with non - level wind reels, the rods always seem to have a stripper guide of about a size 30.

Best Wishes

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.62.---)
Date: November 18, 2018 10:32PM

I have yet to see or handle that reel. Most in that size range found in Denver stores are typically level-winds. The main concern,first and foremost is height from the blank to the bottom of the guide ring. Does it provide adequate clearance of the line over the foregrip? Especially when flexed while trolling in a line holder in an elevated position. Does said stripper guide allow clearance over the hand position when fighting a fish? If you need to,you can use a smaller ringed guide with a taller frame. Those are the real meat and potato questions to be asking. On the west coast,building live bait rods,I typically started with a 20 and then went to a 25,or a 24 if using wire framed guides. Rarely did I need a 30. Sometimes,it the grip had a smaller OD to it,sized for a ladies,or younger anglers hands,a 16 ceramic,or 18 wire framed guide was adequate.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2018 09:29AM

Every casting distance record is held by revolving-spool reels (casting reels), not fixed spool spinning reels. - casting reel - 915 feet - spinning reel 840 feet. Although these distance casters use special lines, rods, and casting techniques the physics of the cast are identical to those of fishing casts. You might visit a distance-casting website and see how they go about finding the ideal guide sizes and spacing for building their rods. Whatever it is it can't interfere much with your rod's use for trolling. BTW: On a bet Steve Rajeff used a revolving-spool reel to cast a golf ball 1,011 feet.

Posted by: Kevin Althoff (50.33.25.---)
Date: November 21, 2018 12:09AM

I should have added in the original post that some of the rods I have been able to cast with using this reel were using as small as size 12 strippers, some larger but not a 20 ring. Would't find that on a muskie rod, more so on a boat rod, hence the original question. I prefer to keep my hand back at the reel or barely in front when fighting a fish, as opposed to using the fore grip. This lends me to a longer rear grip and shorter smaller fore grip and less risk of the line interfering. My initial concern was actually whether or not I could take line coming straight off the spool (as opposed to through a levelwind mechanism) and run it through the smaller guides typically found on heavy baitcasting rods. The line does not come off a trolling reel as neatly as it does a casting reel, especially without any kind of casting brake.

Interesting angle on the distance casting. I hadn't thought of that particular discipline but I know some guys use reels like this for surf fishing so maybe that's a good route to go. Sure aren't many guys using these reels in the middle of the country...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster