I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pole for sucker fishing for Musky
Posted by: John Bonior (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 01:17PM

Looking for a good idea for a pole to make to use for fall musky fishing with suckers. I was thinking of Rod Geeks MODEL #MKY86HF

8'6" | Mono. Line Wgt: 30 - 65 lb. | Lure Weight: 4 - 10 oz. | Fast Action, Heavy Power.

Thanks in advance
JB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pole for sucker fishing for Musky
Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 01:53PM

John thats a great blank. I have built probably a dozen of them for casting rods for musky.

However, if i were building a sucker rod, I'd probably go with a rodgeeks SG711XXH. The blended material handles the brutal hooksets of sucker fishing way better IMO. Sucker fishing for musky is absolutely brutal on gear all things considered. When you pair freezing temps with the hardest possible hookset on a fish that you are purposely waiting to be swimming directly away from you, you end up with broken rods.

This type of presentation wouldn't be my first pick for a custom built rod but if I had to choose a blank it would be the one i mentioned above.

Good luck have fun

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 16, 2018 02:31PM

At RainShadow we released a new Revelation Musky Series where we have both 7'10" and 8'10" - for 30-65lb we'd recommend MH but we have a Heavy and X-Heavy version as well.

Check out the specs at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 02:47PM

Anthony Holstein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> However, if i were building a sucker rod, I'd probably go with a rodgeeks SG711XXH. The blended
> material handles the brutal hooksets of sucker fishing way better IMO.

I've sold a few Rodgeeks XC 804's to musky fishermen. IF the SG 2X will work, the 804 wil be perfect as well. They love how the rod loads when fishing heavier bucktails, it's so easy to cast all day every day and it doesnt' wear you out like an all graphite blankl because the composite rod does all the work.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 05:22PM

consider the size of suckers you will be using some get up to 2 lb rigged on a quick strike rig or a quick strike jig rig and the fish is looking for more than a tooth full of food so 8 ounce - 32 ounce suckers about 10 - 18 inches is what most use and it is a dead stick method drifting with the boat while tossing other lures the fish caught on a sucker rig usually followed a lure to the boat at a deeper depth and wasn't seen by the angler so you got a hungry 40 - 55 inch fish anywhere from 20 - 35 lbs. lurking below the boat . the guys I have built for prefer 8" plus rod and 2x heavy pared with a medium heavy trolling reel with 80 - 100 lb test because as was mentioned the brutality of the hook set and it is game on they fight like crazy and want to run and dive and roll you have to have enough rod back bone to handle that. a rod for tossing lures isn't the way to go can be done but not recommended. but then the guys here that do it all the time could have it all wrong. I think their success says different though. watch this video
[youtu.be]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2018 05:26PM by Matthew Paul.

Date: November 16, 2018 07:34PM

thanks all of you for the great info. Mathew what would you recommend that you had good luck with?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 10:08PM

rod wise a telescopic Tackle industries MHXH 9" used or either one of these from rod geeks Musky Rod Series - MKY86HF or this heavy duty one Musky Rod Series - MKY86XHF have used them all and customers are more than happy with their build
reel wise the favorite here in Wi. Abu Garcia® C3-7000 Casting Reel Abu Garcia® Revo® Winch Casting Reel or you can buy any reel that has a good line cap and drag

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: November 16, 2018 10:32PM

thanks so much

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2018 10:12AM

A reel simple rod for that use is an 8 foot broom stick. Tie on a piece of 80 lb line with a quick strike rig on the end - baited with a big sucker and lay it in the boat. I would also put a big bobber on the line about 10 feet above the hook.

When the fish bites, toss the rod overboard and then go find it 30 minutes later and boat the fish.

Years ago, virtually all of the fall fishing was done using this method with great success.

You can go to the big box store and pick up a threaded broom handle for $10 and you are set to go catch some big fish.

Its both legal and effective.

Good fishing.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 08:59AM

It has been a while since I did any serious sucker fishing but, I have built a bunch of rods from ice rods for gills to off-shore rods for sailfish. When I get back to sucker fishing and I will. I will be looking at saltwater live bait rods. They are made for live bait fishing with bait that might weight 5-10 pounds. They typically have a very fast, light tip and a ton of power. I built a couple that were 7.5 '. left them in Zihua with the captain, too expensive to transport with airlines. But, they were excellent for suckers. They were from rain shadow blanks.
Just my two cents.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster