I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine Question
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2018 05:47AM

Ok watched too many youtube videos and got confused again. Looking for thoughts on spine location of a blank and how to orientate guides to the spine.

I have always used a spine finder that holds the blank horizontal. I roll the blank as I bend the the tip to the floor. Now is the spine on the top of the blank or the bottom? Inside the bend or outside?

Been awhile since I have built rods. Last rod I built I could not find a real discernible spine. Blank had a very slight curve to it. I positioned the curve as the underside of the rod and positioned the guides along it.

As I think back I seem to recall to call the top of the blank the spine with my method of finding the spine. Guide position would be on the spine for casting and 180 degrees from the spine for spinning. Correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine Question
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 06:51AM

Michael

Yes, the spine is on top, or outside the curve, when the rod section is under stress, and yes, guides on the spine for bait casting, and guides inside the spine for fly and spinning rods.

However, lots of folks these days build on the straightest axis without regard to the spine. The thinking is the spine has minimal impact on casting and fighting a fish.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2018 07:14AM

All rods with guides on top will attempt to twist under load. Rods with guides on the bottom, will not. this remains true regardless of spine orientation.

So spine is really irrelevant. You might want to read this - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 16, 2018 01:08PM

What, precisely, will aligning the guides with the spine accomplish, and with what type of rods? bait rods? boat rods? casting rods? trolling rods? spinning rods? Will aligning guides with the spine improve accuracy? appearance? casting distance? durability? strength?

Date: November 16, 2018 05:56PM

Phil

I primarily build fly rods and only occasionally build to the "dark side" - spin and bait cast. The devotees of detecting and building on or opposite the spine would answer yes, dead lift, accuracy, distance, etc. will improve. But (there is always a but) as presented in the article linked by Tom K above, the dead lift performance is in the margins. And regardless of guide orientation to the spine (or spines as in is not uncommon for a blank to have 2 spines with 1 usually more predominate), a rod with guides on the zero axis (on top) will be inherently unstable. That's the reason Roberts wrap rods (aka spiral wrap or acid rods) are popular.

I've built rods on and opposite the predominate spine and frankly could detect no benefit for fly rods 8 weight or less, and for 9 weights and greater I think I can sometimes feel the difference on the back cast but a truly objective measure is beyond me.

I build with guides on the inside of the straightest axis of carbon fiber and glass rods unless the manufacturer recommends otherwise. For bamboo rods I build with the guides on the inside of the blank's natural curve under light pressure. Given the price of a quality bamboo blank, if the blank is not straight it's going back.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 16, 2018 06:07PM

Donald: I have built and used a number of fly rods. I figured if I built a rod with the spine on the "right" side on the forecast the spine would be on the "wrong" side on the backcast - which is just as important as the forecast as we all know, so I just try to build fly rods on the straightest axis of each section.

Date: November 16, 2018 07:34PM

Phil

Yep, we build 'em the same - straightest axis.

Heck, even if there was a significant advantage for guides on or opposite the spine, I wonder how many fly fishermen would adjust their casting technique to be certain the guides and spine are in the casting plane.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2018 05:26AM

Well I was feeling less confused. Now you throw straightest axis at me. I looked through older threads on here about straightest axis. Seems very subjective unless the blank has a very obvious curve. The blank i have has only a very slight curve,maybe,in the last 18 inches or so. Actually a compound curve. Left for about four inches and then back to the right. But it is very slight. Two other people cannot pick it up.

So the take away for me is straightest axis when obviously curved. Position the curve to the top of the rod. To calm my slight OCD go with the spine on rods I cannot detect a major bend. Otherwise I will be looking at the damn rod every time I use it wondering if I picked the right axis.

Thanks again for all the help. Really enjoy the hobby. Wish I could do it more. Completely quite after losing a index finger and a portion of a thumb several years ago. Makes things very frustrating and slow. Lot of times seems like we need three complete hands to wrap a rod, let alone two incomplete ones.But knowing exactly what rod would fit a situation and not being able to buy it is equally as frustrating. That is what drew me back.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2018 08:21AM

If spine orientation was important then not orienting it "properly" would result in all sorts of maladies. And it doesn't. The idea that the blank wants to bend along a particular axis is false - rod blanks don't want to bend, period. That's why when you bend them and release, they return to straight. It is their resistance to bending that allows them to function as fishing rods. Don't fret over this. Most commercially rod makers utilize the straightest axis.

Support the rod blank with two rod supports on the last foot or so of the butt. Level. Put a lined card or lathe live center, or anything that gives you a point of reference, at the tip end. Now rotate the blank and watch the tip as it travels in an oval or circle. No rod blank is as straight as you think it might be. When the tip reaches the highest point in its travel, you have the upward curve dialed in.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2018 10:13AM

Michael,
To make it really simple.
Take the blank, glue on the reel seat, tape on the guides, wrap the guides and glue on the tip top - coat the guides and go fishing.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.79.---)
Date: November 17, 2018 03:19PM

I agree with Tom and others about spine orientation being no big deal , i do wonder why the leading rod building supply companies continue to make it sound critically important though & it's shown as one of the first things you must figure out when they show on how to build a rod .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2018 05:28PM

It's "old school" goes back to early fiberglass and carbon fiber, when blanks were thicker and heavier. With modern blanks being thinner walled, lighter and end use specific, the spine has become less prominent and irrelevant! Building one way or another on the spine has no benefit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 05:29PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2018 11:28AM

Yep, straightest axis. Conventionally wrapped casting rod, guides on the concave side of the curve. Spinning rod, spiral wrapped rod, guides on the convex side of the curve. Let gravity make the blank appear straight when holding it horizontally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster