I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wood filler
Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 15, 2018 11:42AM

I've never been a fan of filling my cork grips, I honestly prefer the way they look and the texture my grips have without filler. However, I'm reworking a handle and I will need to fill the pits. I've heard of guys using min-wax wood filler. Any idea what color I should use? There's 3-4 different colors that look close, and I'm not certain which to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood filler
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2018 12:07PM

Jay,
I use one thing for pit filling.

Elmer's golden oak wood filler.

In a word, it works and works well.

[www.menards.com]

I will generally use 2 or maybe 3 coats - depending on the depth of the pit/s.

I normally do this on the lathe, and do it prior to the final couple of grits of sand paper for the grip that I am turning. That way, the final finish takes care of both the cork and the filler at the same time.

Unfortunately, in the world of today's cork with very high quality getting more and more expensive, or not available at all - it would seem that if we make cork grips, there will normally have to be some pit filling done on the cork.

This is a very big reason why more and more builders and commercial rod makers are using grips made of material other than natural cork.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2018 12:34PM

I agree with Roger, Elmer's Golden Oak wood filler. I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and rub it into the pits. It sands very nicely, and is rated for exterior use, so is water resistant. Can also make a paste using cork dust and exterior Titebond wood glue. Stays in place very well but requires a little more sanding. After sanding I apply a cork seal, to make sure everything stays in place.
Norm

Date: November 15, 2018 01:45PM

That's the one I meant, Elmer's! Thanks guys!

Date: November 15, 2018 01:47PM

That's the one I meant, Elmer's! Thanks guys!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: November 15, 2018 03:52PM

Jay,
I agree with leaving the natural cork just that, natural. However, there are times when a pit is more of a hole which requires filling. I learned of Elmer’s golden oak wood filler on this site, probably from Roger and/or Norman and it does work nicely. Hopefully you purchase a fresh tube. The first tube I bought was so thick or dried-out it was nearly impossible to squeeze out of the tube, even after kneading and applying a bit of heat.
Just curious, does anyone use Pit Paste?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 15, 2018 05:41PM

Make sure it's the outdoor stuff, there are 2 types.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2018 09:33PM

Mark,
The only filler i use is PIT PASTE.
Herb

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2018 10:05PM

Pit Paste also works well, just like the Elmer's wood filler it sands nicely. My only minor problem with it is it does shrink a little more than the Elmer's wood filler, and seems to pop out a little easier.
Norm

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 09:35AM

Jay,
Another option is to salvage some of the cork dust you create when sanding the grip and make a paste with Titebond lll. I turn the cork handle on a lathe and apply a thin coat of the Titebond lll to the pits (kind of a primer coat). Remove any excess with a damp cloth and apply the paste in all the pits by pressing it in firmly with a spatula or similar tool. Leave it high, let it dry,then just sand it off smooth. By using this method, I find the color match to be spot on.
FYI - Not my idea - Learned it on this forum !!!

Jon Hood

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 02:58PM

DAP Plastic wood filler, natural or light oak. Last longer in the can than the Elmer's in the plastic tube and dries faster when applied. It is solvent based so it holds up to moister. Over time just about all fillers will come out eventually if the rod gets a lot of use and exposure to water. I do not like Pit Paste because it comes out of the cork too soon and dries up in the small container (short shelf life).

Date: November 16, 2018 04:57PM

Thanks guys. I ended up using the Elmer's stuff. It didn't really match what was in the existing cork color-wise, but once everything was sanded down and all cleaned up things turned out just dandy.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 22, 2018 10:10AM

Obtain some wine bottle corks - real cork. Sand the corks with #150 sandpaper over a sheet of newspaper and save the dust. Mix up some clear, flexible epoxy with a set-up time of at least ten minutes and stir in the cork dust at a 1:1 ratio to the epoxy. Trowel the cork-epoxy mixture into gaps in the cork handle, taking care to completely fill the holes. Use a spatula to level the cork-epoxy with the surface of the grip, and carefully wipe off excess mixture around filled holes with a soft cloth saturated with epoxy solvent. You can turn the handle on a rod dryer while the epoxy sets up if you wish to be extra careful. I have a couple of rods I repaired this way 10 or more years ago and the repairs are still difficult to detect. Repairs still feel and look like cork, because they are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster