I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing gimble from 80lb stand up game rod
Posted by: Mark Martin (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 13, 2018 08:10PM

Hi guys

The rod was professionally built about 25 yrs ago, by Wellsys Tackle, a standard design made to order. All the hardware appears to be AFTCO. By its age ide guess the blank is probably sabre or Snyder.

I need to remove the black alloy gimble without damaging it or the rod. Theres a Hypalon grip directly above it.

I'm guessing I get some heat into the gimble to melt the glue inside (on the blank), i think maybe using a heat gun, with a wet rag over the hypalon to protect it.

Any advice appreciated.

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing gimble from 80lb stand up game rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 14, 2018 12:09AM

wet rag and some aluminum foil wrapped over the rag to deflect the heat and heat the gimble and it should release with the heat gun

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 14, 2018 07:26AM

Mark:
I have been using a Dremel cutting wheel to remove damaged reel seats and gimbles . The amount of heat needed to remove the gimble may damage the rod. Support the gimbel and carefully
cut the gimble using shallow cuts once you are through insert a screw driver and spread the gimbal to remove. Did this many times without any issues.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2018 02:23PM

He stated that he wanted to remove it without damaging it or the blank

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 16, 2018 08:35AM

Ron
I feel it will be a stretch to remove these items without damaging them or the blank with the heat option. If this rod was property build these parts should be nearly impossible to remove intact.
If they are Aftco the items should be no problem to replace it may be a little costly, but that's what I would recommend to the owner. I have replaced these components on 50 -80 and even a couple of 130 unlimited rods using the Dremel method. The customers were happy with the new gimble with a little re-shaping of the hypalon its hard to tell the gimble was replaced.

Rich Kline Custom rods

Posted by: Mark Martin (---.bras1.syd2.internode.on.net)
Date: November 17, 2018 12:16AM

Well the plan is to remove intact so i can re install it onto an extension section that ill turn up on my lathe.

unless i can buy another gimble thats already 2 inches longer?

Probably should have mentioned the big picture here, the butt is very short, the reel impacts onto the gunwale of the boat. Im trying to make the butt 2" longer.

Mark

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2018 08:27AM

Mark:

If you want to extend the blank that should not be a problem, try to get an old solid fiber glass rod and make an internal bushing at least 10" long (assuming that the the rod you are repairing is hollow) sand the
bushing to fit leaving enough room for the extension bushing and the gimble. Fit a new piece of hyplon on the extension to match the butt section of the rod, with your lathe this should not be a problem. Dry fit everything. Glue internal bushing with slow cure epoxy, fit hyplon on extension and glue with epoxy, joint the hyplon with contact cement. after drying. Re-shape new hyplon to match existing hyplon. Glue bushing for gimble new or existing 2" Aftco gimble. To complete you may want to install a heat shrink sleeve over the rear butt. I use the method to extend rods for use with Bunker Spoons never had and issues or problems with this method.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster