I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

st. croix 5C68MF-B for spinning rod
Posted by: Pawel Tymendorf (---.184.252.49.ipv4.supernova.orange.pl)
Date: November 06, 2018 03:35PM

Hi,

I am trying to find any info regarding st. croix 5C68MF-B blank and would appreciate your help , gentlemen. I would like to make a spinning rod with this and my concern is c.w. of this blank. My experience with St. Croix blanks so far is that they allow to use much heavier lures than described and I wonder if it is the case for this model as well.

Currently I am using 5S70MF-2 (2010 model) and 5C70MHF (also form 2010) and I wonder how is current 5C68MF-B in comparison with them - somewhere in between or rather similiar to 70MF2 maybe ?

Any help of yours will be greatly appreciated :)

Best regards,
Pavel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 03:35PM by Pawel Tymendorf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: st. croix 5C68MF-B for spinning rod
Date: November 10, 2018 07:59AM

No one, really ? Come on, guys... :)

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2018 12:54PM

I do not have specific casting weight or intrinsic power information on the new SC 5C68MF. I have directly compared the older SC 5S70MF with the SC 5S66MF, in my opinion both have have a very broad casting range, which extends above and below their listed casting range. I have found this to be true of most HM rods I have tried. When comparing their intrinsic power by CCS, my 5S66MF is slightly more powerful than my 5S70MF, with intrinsic powers of about 425 gm and 400 gm respectively. I know the 5C models are a little bit more powerful than the corresponding 5S models, but not by a lot. I have built both 5C and 5S models as both spinning and casting and they are great rods, but have not measured all of them. Based on my experience I would think the SC 5C68MF would be more powerful than your SC 5S70MF but not as powerful as your SC 5C70MHF. However, I do not have the direct data to back this up. Hope this is of some help to you.
Norm

Date: November 10, 2018 01:40PM

Thank you Norman, if 5C68MF was sth in beetween 5S70MF and 5C70MHF that woul be ideal..... I wonder is there a difference between "B" models (extreme) and "G" models (elite). On paper I would say tha G-model should be little bot stronger as it has bigger taper (butt O.D. 0.450 vs 0.435) and it is a tad heavier (1.5oz vs 1.4 oz)... could anyone comment on differences between current extreme(B) and legend(G) models of st.croix blanks ?

Best regards,
Pavel

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2018 02:09PM

Pawel,
Give St. Croix a call and ask them your question. They are very helpful and will be more than happy to answer your questions. If you can't call, just drop them an e-mail with your question.

[stcroixrods.com]

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2018 02:34PM

I thought the B and G designations indicated color, blue vs green, and has nothing to do with power. The S vs C designations would indicate a change in intrinsic power ratings for blanks showing same length, power and action designations. I also think the 6’8” models are XF vs F, and this can have an effect on lure range and overall power. Not having measured or used a 5C68MXF I have no idea how they would compare to the 7’ and 6’6” S and C models in intrinsic power. In general, I do know l like the way XF Rods cast, the tip loads very well, and you can get very good distance with a snap cast.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster