I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matt Finish Epoxy?
Posted by: Ken Patek (172.109.138.---)
Date: November 06, 2018 11:30AM

I have a friend asking me to build him a rod. He'd like a decorative wrap, but doesn't want the high gloss appearance the epoxy gives. Since he is getting a matt finish blank, he's asking me if its possible to have a matt finish on the epoxy. I though of maybe hitting it with alcohol while its still tacky, but then it will cloud the decorative wrap underneath. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

- Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matt Finish Epoxy?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2018 11:35AM

Best I can think of is to hit it with a very, very fine sandpaper after ti has cured. Something fine enough that will dull it without leaving scratches that are visible to the naked eye. Probably 2500 grit or higher. Very fine steel wool might work.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2018 11:57AM

If you intend to go the sanding route, be sure the epoxy is well cured! If still a little soft, sanding can be uneven or splotchy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2018 12:28PM

Ken,
Do an experiment on a test blank.
But, you can mix some flatting agent with the epoxy to give it a matte finish.

One thing that you can try is to use talc powder in the correct proportion to give the flat matte finish.

[www.walmart.com]

There are other agents on the market as well.

Consider poly finish.

You can get that finish in gloss, semi gloss, and flat. You will notice that when you mix the finish - prior to use, the gloss has only finish in the can. The semi gloss has some agent sitting on the bottom of the can that needs to be mixed with the finish. The matte flat finish has more of the same material that needs to be mixed with the finish prior to use.

Same is true for your thread wrapping finish. Mix the appropriate material with the finish and you can achieve any level of matte finish that you desire.

Best of luck

p.s.
Here are a few commercial examples:

[www.amazon.com]

However, note that this material is water based and is compatible with water based finish and not with epoxy.

[www.ehow.com]

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 06, 2018 01:58PM

Ken

Mudhole offers 2 different "matte" rod finishes, both Seymo products. I have purchased one of each type, but have not coated any wraps with either as of yet, so I can not offer any "product reviews". Possibly a call Mudhole would shed some light!

Rog

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 06, 2018 09:27PM

I think chalk dust can be added to mix to matte epoxy.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2018 10:37AM

Don't sand with sandpaper - even 2500 grit that I use for other things.
Go to a store that sells beads and buy a package of assorted Micro Mesh Sanding cloths.
They go from 400 grit to 8,000 grit.
They are cloth-like paper that you can buff your wraps like you would buff your shoes with a polishing cloth.
I think MMM makes it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster