I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod Running Guide Spacing
Posted by: Jordan Garrett (---.152.192.199.res-cmts.eph2.ptd.net)
Date: November 04, 2018 09:04AM

Hello all, long time lurker. I have learned a lot from this forum and have tried searching this question, but came up short. I’m looking for a rough estimate of how close your running guides come out to be on a surf rod.

I am building an FSC Sb1266 for plugging. Ive built the handle to be 25” to the center of the reel seat. I’ve laid out a guide train at least 4 times using a NGC and I’m not sure if I’ve put too many running guides. I’ve paired it with a Penn Spinfisher 5500. That reel gives me a choke point of about 59”, but I’ve moved it to about 60.5” in order to get my stripper a little further out. (Comes out about 26” from spool face). The choke point leaves me about 36” of blank from choke to tip. I’m using KW guides and have laid out 30,25,20, and 12 as a choke and then( 4) 8’s. ( I tried using straight 8’s from choke to tip but thought it looked odd and threw the 12 on as the choke, still debating this). I’ve tried using 4 runners spaced several different ways but static loading shows some flat spots and it looked like it needed another runner. I then laid out (5) 8’s spaced progressively which showed a better static load. I’ve test casted each setup and there were no issues that I observed and the rod casted pretty well. I’ve tried a couple other reduction guide trains using a 16, but the 30,25,20,12 turned out the best. My question is, are 9 guides plus a tip top too many for a 10’6’’ rod, and with this size of rod are some flat spots acceptable on a static load test? Any other constructive criticisms are welcome, I’ve built fresh water rods and fly rods, but this is the first surf rod. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod Running Guide Spacing
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 04, 2018 09:34AM

Jordan,
Sounds like you have nailed it.
Build the rod and enjoy it.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.105.---)
Date: November 04, 2018 12:41PM

First some thoughts on the reduction train :

I built my last CTS 12 footer with a guide layout similar to yours with a 30,25,20 , 12 and it was OK but not amazing , the reason why it wasn't amazing is because a 30,25,20 as a reduction train really does not cut the line coils down that much before they encounter the 12 size choker .

Using a 30 stripper then going with a 20 to a 16 or 12 is much more effective IF you use line say up to 30 pound braid and under but if using above 40 pound i agree the 30,25,20 , 12 is the way to go . I also went with the KW double foots for that rod and the KW 30 ,25,20, 12 was the layout that seemed to fit best for that particular rod mostly because the heights of them fit well , i would have preferred smaller rings but the heights did not match up well . A solid all around layout though that works very well with heavy and light braid.

One of the biggest performance enhancers is to go with smaller running guides than the 8's as i originally went with 8's on the 12 footer but after i tried size 6 KT's i was blown away and used those instead , my current build, an eleven footer i'm using size 5 runners ONLY because i use light line and use relatively light leaders & the performance difference is dramatic with the smaller runners.

Regarding spacing on that particular blank i think 9 guides plus the tip top is right on the money since you say even with that many runners you're concerned about some areas not being supported well enough , you should use enough runners to make sure there is full support along the blanks natural curvature don't worry about if it looks to be too many .

Just my thoughts, have fun.

Posted by: Jordan Garrett (---)
Date: November 04, 2018 04:19PM

Thanks for the advice and input.

Quick follow up, when making thread ramps to transition grip to blank or reel seat to grip, do they have to look pretty or will they clean up after a few coats of epoxy?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2018 05:42PM

Okay, the first 8 is your choke guide, no matter where you locate it. If you have the line following a straight path to the choke guide (sight down from the butt guide - all guides should be framed by the previous one like a bull's eye) then you're most likely just fine. Stop worrying about what it looks like.

Posted by: brian rossi (---)
Date: November 04, 2018 06:38PM

Jordan Garrett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the advice and input.
>
> Quick follow up, when making thread ramps to
> transition grip to blank or reel seat to grip, do
> they have to look pretty or will they clean up
> after a few coats of epoxy?

Once you get some epoxy over them the threads will blend together and look fine.

Posted by: Jordan Garrett (---.152.192.199.res-cmts.eph2.ptd.net)
Date: November 05, 2018 01:30AM

Thanks for the help, tomorrow will be glue up day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster