I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mudhole CFX laminating expoxy
Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: November 04, 2018 12:57PM

Anyone used the CFX 5:1 resin/hardener from MH? I've used the Aero Marine 300/21 (same as Riley use to supply) for several years, but thought I'd try the CFX product. The reason for the switch is the minimum size of the Aero is 1.5 quarts, which I cannot use in a year (Riley use to supply smaller sizes). My first results were a bit disappointing with the CFX, and wanted to hear other's experience. I'm having a lot of what seems like contamination issues, including cloudiness and fisheyes, issues I've never encountered before. There is also significant amine "blush" upon curing.

I'm using the same techniques / methodology I've always used with other product with good results, just not so with the CFX. I typically sand between coats, and the fisheyes are increasing with each application, to the point that I'm wondering if the syringes supplied with the kit were contaminated.

Anyone with good results, please relay and I'll try again and try to alter certain aspects of my mixing and application materials to try to isolate the problem.

thanks much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole CFX laminating expoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2018 05:39PM

Are you wiping your sanded surfaces with a solvent before re-coating?

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: November 04, 2018 06:04PM

No, never do. I finish sanding with 320 grit, remove residual dust with gray scotchbrite pad, and recoat. I've built over 100 of these grips, and never experienced anything like this.
Finish room is solely dedicated to such, so I think whatever is happening is the result of whatever new materials I'm using from the current order. I'm running a few experiments to try to isolate the issue.
thanks much.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2018 08:39PM

I wouldn't know what to tell you other than to try a different batch of epoxy from another kit and see what happens.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2018 08:40PM

you might want to consider the gloves your using if you bought them in bulk

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2019 08:47AM

Bryan,
I am having the same issues with the CFX material you described above. Did you ever chase down the problem?

Jon Hood

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster