I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about ultralight spinning rods
Posted by: Christopher Dean (---.gci.net)
Date: November 03, 2018 06:19PM

I have searched and searched, but it seems like most of the topics on this are 10+ years old. With the technological advancements, I am not sure whether all of the info is still applicable.
For a little background, 20 years ago I was a hobby rod builder, but for a number of reasons (marriage and growing family, work and just general lack of time) I had stopped.
I am at a point where time is still tight, but I need to get back into doing some hobbies and correct a seriously skewed work/life balance.

I want to build an ultra light spinning rod for use in interior Alaska streams/river, primarily for Arctic Grayling.

Many years ago I had a discussion with a rod builder who suggested building an ultralight rod on a fly rod blank. His quote was "it's the most fun you will have and makes them feel like monsters on the rod"

So that brings me to know.

I want to build a 6-7 ft ultralight spinning rod with a split grip made of cork (if that matters) and will equip it with an UL reel with 4lb test. Primarily would expect to use spoons and spinners in the 1/8 - 1/4 oz range.

So as I consider blanks, I was looking at the MHX F663-3 and the MHX F704-3. Both 3 piece rods (would have preferred a 2 piece) that are 3W with a medium fast action.

Had planned on using either the airwave or microwave guides as well. Do I really need the ceramic inserts (and extra cost) in a rod like this?

Some of the threads I have read there have been suggestions for using and additional guide on the top because of the increased area of flex in the rod (as I understood it). Do that make sense to add another guide near the tip top?

I thank everyone in advance for the knowledge and advice they share. If I am completely off base with this I would like to hear that as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about ultralight spinning rods
Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: November 03, 2018 06:44PM

IMO a flyrod blank is too soft for the lure range you're wanting to use. I usually use the lightest line the blank is rated for for my applications. In looking at the catalog the S782-2-MHX seems right for your purpose.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 03, 2018 07:00PM

Jann's Netcraft has the UL that your looking for, quality at a good price. SSSP781-2 I beieve is the part number. IM6 graphite blanks. Personally I only use fly blanks for applications where a spinning blank doesn't exist, they aren't as effective at casting accuracy, more prone to lob, or high arcing casts.
Angler's Workshop has a line of shop blanks in IM6 that used to be US built, info is old though on who builds them.
their 7 ft. ultralight and light blanks both have light tips, the light just has a bit more mid to butt. The price is good, excellent if still US built.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 07:16PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 03, 2018 07:01PM

I agree with Alex. I've been through this and built two fly rods into spin rods, a 3 wt and a 6 wt. The 3, being only 7 1/2 feet long, is OK, but a little sloppy. The 6, at 8 1/2 feet is too sloppy. It casts light lures a long way, and it's fun fighting fish with it, but it's too sloppy to accurately cast except for long casts.

I was recommended a blank by Ron Schneider, a sponsor on the left margin of this sight, and it is an amazing blank. It is Rainshadow RX6 7 foot ML power, fast action, according to Rainshadow. SB841-3. But CCS shows it is a 240 gram power, with an 80 degree action angle . What this means is that it can cast about any reasonable weight lure well, even the lightest, and still have the power to handle big fish. I've fished with it and found it a very crisp blank, good for light cranks, blades, tubes, so far. The very stiff butt goes out a long way to a light, responsive, tip.

You don't want to go below 7 feet, or not much, anyway. The shorter ultra light blanks make hook set very problematic. The 7 foot length of the SB841 allows long casts, good hook sets, and will with light braid, and a good guide train, will be a very nice rod for what you want.

I used the Fuji KLH 20-10-5,5M reduction train with 5 runners to the tip, and it's a great caster.

Be sure your travel case will accept tall guides, or get the Temple Fork triangular rod case.

Posted by: Christopher Dean (---.gci.net)
Date: November 03, 2018 07:58PM

Thank you

Appreciate the advice and will look into the options you have provided

Always interested to here others opinions

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2018 08:22PM

I've been 'chasing' UL rods for a while. While I am sure there are many here who have far more experience than I, my thoughts include:

1. Get the lightest blank you can for a particular power/action. I'm a big believer that the blank is the heart of a rod.
2. Build for lightweight.
3. Build for balance with reel mounted on the rod. Presumably you are using a spinning reel?
4. Build for comfort in the grip.

Achieve the above and you are likely to have a rod that will be a pleasure to cast all day long.

As to the blanks you stated, I do think that a 3 and even 4 wt fly blank may be underpowered for your lure range.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2018 08:44PM

The key to "making them feel like monsters" isn't the fact that something is a fly rod blank. But rather, the length of the rod. The longer the rod the larger the mechanical advantage the fish will have on the angler.

Very often we think of UL rods as necessarily being short, and while it's true that most blanks marketed as UL are indeed short, there is no reason you can't cook up your own UL rod on a longer rod blank.

I wouldn't go overboard - you don't need to fight the fish to death. But for what you're wanting to do and the casting distance you may need, I'd look at something that is at least 7 if not 7.5 feet long in the appropriate power range.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2018 11:17PM

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

PBT2SP7812 6'6'' Moderate XL 2 2 - 6. 1/8 - 1/4. 4 0.32 1.41 29.63

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 03, 2018 11:28PM

Christopher,
You might consider one of the Batson blanks:

For example:

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

The Sp721 or the 781.

Build the rod with a split grip, but no need for any fore grip in front of the reel seat.
Then, you might consider the Pac Bay minima guides, no insert, very light weight and very inexpensive.

Another thing that you might consider is to make a split grip, but don't put a reel seat on the rod. Rather, just put on 4-5 inches of cork of the appropriate size - where you want the reel located and when you attach the reel, just tape it to the reel with tape.
Carry a roll of tape in your tackle box when you go, so that you can replace the tape as needed. But, if you do this, put on a double wrap of tape on the cork, at the locations where the front and the rear of the reel will be located. Leave this double layer of tape on the cork, and when you change or remove the reel, only remove the over wrap of tape to hold the reel in place and leave the under wrap in place. That way, the tape does not pull any cork out by not taking the layer of tape next to the cork off when you change or remove the reel.

Using these techniques, you can build a very light very fun rod that will give you lots of happy memories catching those fish of your dreams.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert Drabik (---.ostnet.pl)
Date: November 04, 2018 11:33AM

Christopher, Mo wrote very well, "the blank is the heart of a rod."

I will recommend you Japanese Blanks SUZUKI.
Especially for your needs, the RXF-5lb-702 model or RXF-5lb-702-PRO
This is the highest quality Japanese blank used in Japan and Europe by many rodbuilders.
Model: RXF-5LB-702
Parts: 2pc
Length: 7' -213cm
Line Rating: 3-7lb
C.W. 1-6g - 1/32-7/32oz.
Action: Fast
Tip Size: 1.47mm/4
Butt Size: 8,3mm/0.327"
Weight: 35g/1.23oz
Color: Black Lip Pearl

[brcrods.com]

Distributor of luxury Japanese blanks, FUJI guides.
SUZUKI BLANKS, Carefully made in Tokyo, Japan

[brcrods.com]

We also provide services to wholesale customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 11:40AM by Robert Drabik.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2018 06:42PM

1/4 ounce is about 100 grains, near the median weight for the head of a 3 weight line. 1/2 ounce is about 217 grains, near the median weight for the head of an 8 weight line. There is considerable difference between a 3 wt. and an 8 wt. fly rod and the size of the fish they are used to fish for. Why not learn to fly-cast, build a fly rod, and have a ball?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 08:12PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 05, 2018 03:30PM

X2 Phil! Do it with a bamboo rod.

Posted by: AARON SCHILLER (---.static.pfnllc.net)
Date: November 06, 2018 08:16AM

It may be worthwhile to check out North Fork Composites freshwater series. I have a FW 602-1(IM) built as an UL with MInima guides and it handles the lightest of baits and can handle some very large trout. They also have a 6'6" (661 or 662)and a 7' blank (701 or 702) that have the same tip action with the addition of length in the butt. NFC also has a sale going on for most of November.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 06, 2018 09:32AM

Check GetBit for NFC, too.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: November 14, 2018 04:29AM

No one has said anything about the microwave guides.. So ill chime in for fun..
If you have never used them before, they are in my opinion icredible.. Go with them.. They are lightweight, but.. They might spoil you.. The casting is so smooth, silent, and it increases accuracy as advertised in my opinion.. Place the first 3 according to the ditections, do the rest of the guides in static placement.. I have a set on my MHX P843-2, and the first thing everyone says who cast the rod for the first time says "i want a rod exactly like this"

As for a blank? Ive been hunting for one myself.. Cant make my mind up., but i will say MHX makes some really nice blanks.. Also ive been wanting to get my hands on a rainshadow.. Wont kill your wallet, and from what i hear they really are amazing blanks..

Not much help, but had to add about the guides.. I cant bring myself to use any other type..

Posted by: Samuel Church (---.bulkhost.africom.mil)
Date: November 14, 2018 11:59PM

Sir,

I don't know if you have looked at the MHX travel rod series but they have a couple of ultralight and light kits available. The appeal to them is they are 3 piece blanks so you will be able to get back into the middle of nowhere without breaking your gear. I have ordered the 7 foot light model and will let you know how it feels when I get it built. I am a backpacker so i was wanting a rod that I can strap to the side of my pack for my son to use while I fly fish. Here is a link on the mudhole website. If the link doesn't work sorry you might have to copy and paste it.

Sam

[www.mudhole.com]|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmx=-&__utmv=-&fragment=%2FMHX-Freshwater-Travel-Series-Rod-Kits&__utmk=230354975&__utmb=267503436.4.9.1542256974860&__utmc=267503436&__utma=267503436.1116848750.1542256962.1542256962.1542256962.1#/MHX-Freshwater-Travel-Series-Rod-Kits

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-15.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2018 01:30AM

Mhx blanks are very nice in my opinion.. But the power seems to run on the heavier side.. If you go by the CCS system my medium extra fast popping rod has a lifting power of 490grams (might be 480, im not home to look in my book) awesome blank though..

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 07:08PM

I know I am late to this party but I love the Phenix series of ultralights. The iron feather is an awesome blank but a little pricey the mirage is great at a reasonable price.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-4.myvzw.com)
Date: January 17, 2019 08:50PM

Not too late.. I still havent had a chance to get into it yet.. Thanks for the input

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster