I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Strippers
Posted by: Rob Boughton (---.bluestar.net)
Date: June 29, 2001 05:09PM

I've seen a trend toward adding an extra stripper guide on heavier flyrods. That makes for three, sometimes four strippers on a rod, the first two looking about four inches apart. I'm building a 10 weight. Can anyone offer some commentary on the matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Strippers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 29, 2001 07:03PM

Fly line can tend to overshoot the standard second stripping guide. Having two close together helps to get the line moving in the "proper direction".

I first saw this trick used by a few Outer Banks fly fishermen way back in the early 1970's. there may have been others using it even before that. It appears to be coming back around and many are finding that it is beneficial.

The best thing you can do is to set up your rod in the normal manner and do some test casting. Then add on the additional stripper and test cast some more. You'll soon know if you are receiving any benefit from it.

Finally, I would not be surprised to see some enterprising component manufacturer develop a single specialty stripping guide that does the same job as these two do now. Just depends on how far the custom builders go in selling this worthwhile concept to the fishermen.

Re: Third Fly Stripper
Posted by: Richard (---.hartford-08rh15rt.ct.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 01, 2001 06:28AM

I recently finished a Loomis F1089-4 where I used the 3rd stripper. I tested it first in the conventional 2 stripper configuration and than added the 3rd. It appears to keep the line off the rod better allowing the line to flow smoother between the stripping guides thus giving you the ability to shot more line. Looks different until you get used to it. Everyone that has cast this rod likes the way it feels and casts. When I get a chance I am going to add the 3rd stripper to a 7wt I built last year so I guess I am a convert to this 3rd stripping guide.

Richard

Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: July 01, 2001 01:29PM

Maybe a different approach. First the extra guide is to stop the line from vibrating as it passes through the guides. Rather than trying to set in concrete the exact spacing test cast the rod with different set-ups and when the line goes through the guides without looking like it is moving you have it. The 100 mm will work on many rods but some require a third guide to completely stabilize the line. Move the guides around until the line flows through the guides without looking like it is movong.

Posted by: Mark (12.19.32.---)
Date: July 02, 2001 11:56AM

I have always built my heavier rods with three stripping guides but, I'm a bit confused.
I'll explain myself this way. I am getting ready to build a nine foot, nine weight. My guide configuration is: 16, 12, 12, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5. I would folow the typical guide spacing but add another 16 within four inces of the first. Thius would make for :16, 16, 12, 12, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5. Correct?
Or is the recommendation just a third stripping guide like I already have but moving the 12 within four inches of the 16?
I hope I explained this right. I think I may have just confused myself.

Mark

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 02, 2001 12:22PM

You would an additional #12 about 3 or 4 inches past your single #16 stripper. The rest of the spacing remains unchanged.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster