I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10ft 11wt fly blank questions (new to forum)
Posted by: Zach Vydra (---.macewan.ca)
Date: October 31, 2018 05:34PM

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a manufacturer that makes 11wt fly rod blanks in 9'6" or 10' in length? I've looked everywhere but I can't seem to find 11wts more than 9' or 9wt switch rods shorter than 11'9". Does anyone know of someone who makes them?

Thanks,
Zach

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10ft 11wt fly blank questions (new to forum)
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 31, 2018 07:05PM

Zach,
CTS can do this.
How thick is your wallet??
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS Rod Blanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 31, 2018 08:59PM

Know of a 9' 9" big dog rod, big pike, musky, tarpon, GTs, etc. Technically rated for line weight 600 - 900 grains. Well known and knowledgeable shop, email me.

Posted by: Zach Vydra (---.macewan.ca)
Date: November 01, 2018 09:55AM

Thanks Herb and Spencer, I'll be in contact when I'm ready to buy the blank! I think I'm going to go with CTS.

Cheers

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 01, 2018 10:14AM

To each their own, the gentleman I mentioned developed the first switch rods and used them long before the public ever heard of them. He developed the spey and switch rods for Beulah and CTS learned from the custom blanks they were building for his shop.
Shouldn't be a wait either and he'll recommend grip lengths, lines that work best with his blanks/rods etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 10:19AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: November 01, 2018 03:18PM

Hrey Zach,
You share how this rod will be used?
As a 2 hander?
As a fly rod?
Used casting Spey? Switch? Overhead?

9'6" - 10'0" a little short for 2 hander and #11 is a little heavy for a single-hander.
Please share - if you don't wish to do it here - email me: hladen@hotmail.com
Regards,
Herb
CTS

Posted by: Zach Vydra (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: November 03, 2018 11:27AM

Spencer,

This guy sounds great and I’d be happy to check his website out! I didn’t mean to shoot down your response. I do appreciate the info you gave me.

Herb,

I will be using this as a hybrid rod for taimen, I need the length to sling large flies (30cm-40cm in length) and Alaskan chinook. I don’t typically enjoy swinging flies but enjoy the extra bit of length. I fish for bull trout with an 10ft 8wt Loop Evotec.

I will be attaching a switch rod style grip for casting aid and pairing it with a Loop megaloop reel. Does CTS give line weight recommendation or an equation for grain weight calculation? I was looking at the 10ft 10wt with butt strength increase by 2 and tip by 1.

Thank you both, I appreciate your time and info.

Zach

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2018 01:08PM

Zach,
There are those that will provide opinions on grain weights - but I find with these "one-off" blanks it usually ends in disappointment. One reason is that assigning a grain weight to a one-off blank is very subjective. i.e. A friend on mine from the UK and I worked for 5 years trying to design the perfect two-handed (CTS) 12'-13' blank for Cape Cod outer beaches in high winds.
We wanted a rod that had the flex profile like a fast single-hander.
My UK friend designed it first - he loves it with a 530 grain line. My opinion is that that weight just starts to tickle the rod. I like 600-700 grains because I GENERALLY like to load a rod into it's lower sections for more power.
So what good would it do to give you a 200 grain window??
Unfortunately - if you are a fussy builder/caster - it is an expensive experiment.

I usually take my best shot and test the rod with various grain lines. Since I fish rods from #8 - #11 - I have room to maneuver.
My current single-handed blank of the year - to cast large 2/0 3/0 Gurglers is a custom CTS blank STATED as an 8wt. But it needs 400 grains to load it the way I like. I cast mostly on the tip with this rod - which is counter to my usual preference.

Anyway - what I'm saying is that it is much too foggy out there to give you formulas.
Herb

Posted by: Zach Vydra (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: November 04, 2018 10:33AM

Herb,

Awesome. You answered my question perfectly.
Thank you!

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: November 04, 2018 01:06PM

Second Spencer's recommendation. I've built a few of the 9'9" rods referred to, and paired with an OPST shooting head they can really sling a large fly a great distance. I've built mine with a somewhat short switch-style fore-aft grip for two-handed overhead. The 8/9 weight equates somewhat to an 11wt single hand rating, and that's the rod I use for muskie. And the blanks are tough.

Not taking anything away from CTS......they're great blanks.

Posted by: Justin Benjamin (---.rogers.com)
Date: September 14, 2019 08:48PM

Bryan Yates,
I am wondering if you could give any recommendations on the blanks you are using for muskies? I'm looking to build myself one as a first musky fly rod and wondering what blanks I should be looking for. I'm looking to use rather large flies as I have very large fish in our area (fish each yr caught in the 45-52" range regularly with HEAVY for length weights). I am hoping to keep the budget around $250-300 for the blank if possible (I've got all other supplies otherwise).

I've built many casting rods with great luck and 1 fly rod that was OK, but I believe a better blank was required (3wt, 9ft, 4 piece) as it was a little moderate for my liking. Unfortunately, I've never really fly fished these giants, but do lots of casting for them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster