I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

electric epoxy warmer
Posted by: Rex Mason (47.189.191.---)
Date: October 31, 2018 03:03PM

My rod building is hit-miss, & I may go several months between a build. Added to my problem; our house does not have central heat or air conditioning and it can get down into the 40° range in my rod building room. Bottom line, I often have trouble with one bottle of the epoxy mix “setting up” where it will not pour or flow enough to pull it into a measuring syringe. So far I have managed to heat the solidified bottle in warm water enough to get what I need for my mix. Sometimes I get in a hurry and slightly heat the bottle with a heat gun on low setting. According to sales hype, an electric heated epoxy warmer is very advantageous & solves many of the rod builders problems; sorta’ like the guy trying to sell waterfront property in south central AZ.
I would like to hear from someone(s) who has actually used a desktop epoxy warmer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: electric epoxy warmer
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 31, 2018 04:07PM

Rex

Anything that gently warms the epoxy (Part A, the resin) is good - a pot of hot water, bottle warmer, scented candle warmer, even putting the resin bottle in your pocket for a while works. I've got an electric warmer and it works but it is slow. A microwave oven is, to my thinking, ideal as it is fast. Just a couple seconds of "nuking" the resin to just warm to the touch and you are good to go. And the microwave oven will make a hot, adult beverage to enjoy while you admire your finish work.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 31, 2018 05:28PM

Rex,
As has been suggested by Donald, just keep a small microwave in the shop and use it when needed. Put in the bottles with no metal on or in them and set the timer for 30 seconds and turn it off after about 3-5 seconds and will thin the epoxy just fine.

If one or both of the bottles is still a bit stiff, just give them another 3-5 seconds.

Notice - I said 3-5 SECONDS. No need for any longer than that at one time.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2018 06:12PM

You can also store the epoxy somewhere else in your house - somewhere that is heated. That way the epoxy will be closer to normal room temp when you prepare to measure and mix it.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---)
Date: October 31, 2018 07:17PM

Way back when... I purchased a couple of candle warmers at Wally World. I found the Microwave to be much faster to use. The candle warmers are sitting on the self and need a new home....any takers?

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: October 31, 2018 08:30PM

Easy to pick up an inexpensive microwave that will serve a multitude of needs:

[www.walmart.com]

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 31, 2018 10:24PM

Rex Mason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My rod building is hit-miss, & I may go several
> months between a build. Added to my problem; our
> house does not have central heat or air
> conditioning and it can get down into the 40°
> range in my rod building room. Bottom line, I
> often have trouble with one bottle of the epoxy
> mix “setting up” where it will not pour or
> flow enough to pull it into a measuring syringe.
Why not add some Heat to the room you use ? Lot's of Safe options out their Nowadays, And I'm sure you would enjoy your self a bit more when using your work space.

Date: November 01, 2018 12:09AM

Rex,
When I do rod wrapping in the winter, I will sometimes use a room portable space heater to add some additional heat to the shop on extremely cold days.

If I happen to have a need to do some finish work, I will just set the epoxy containers on a stool in front of the space heater and let the space heater add a bit of heat to the epoxy at the same time that it adds heat to the work shop.

I have a few of these "milk house style" heaters that I use for temporary heat in an enclosed area when the need for more heat is needed. I have had some of the heaters for years. i will run into them from time to time at garage sales and can sometimes pick up one for $5-$10. If one goes bad, I will just cartridge in a replacement.

[www.google.com]

The heaters all have a thermostat on them to make them easy to control and to have them automatically shut off when a desired temperature is reached - if ever - in the space being heated.

When drying, I like to keep the shop at about 85 degrees for a quicker and more perfect final finish on the rods. As a result, I will just turn on the heater and leave it turned up a bit to keep the room nice and cozy during the drying period.

Good luck

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2018 11:42AM

Hi Rex

As an option you can look at the Epoxy Bottle Warmer by CRB.

[www.mudhole.com]

Happy building...

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster