I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"WOW" , KL-H guides on 11 footer non KR setup AWESOME
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.78.---)
Date: October 30, 2018 09:39PM

Just wanted to let people know that high frame KL-H single foot guides are " Off the charts" amazing on surf setups that are more finesse based vs durability based . I have built surf rods with the double foot K's , single foot KL's , double foot LC's and double foot RV's and imo the KL-H single foot's are not only the lightest but best performing guides i have ever used .

I'm using them on a CTS eleven foot S8 blank with a Shimano Aero Technium . Following the KR GPS recommendations of spacing doesn't work well for a spool of this diameter even with the KL-H 25 at twenty plus inches for the stripper is just way too close for a reel with this size spool as noticeable bunching up at the first guide kills performance .

I attribute that happening to the height of the KL-H 25 which is right around 55 mm , to be in line with the spool shaft the guide would need to be about 63 mm in height . I know Fuji offers the KL 30 and KW 30 & 40 in heights of about 60 mm but those rings sizes are too big for me and are totally unnecessary for the size braid i fish with, ( Very light) .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 11:17PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "WOW" , KL-H guides on 11 footer non KR setup AWESOME
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 11:14PM

I have to admit I have not made a surf rod since the KR concept has been out. With that being said, since the KL25H is the same height as the RV 25, and the RV 25 is routinely used on surf rods it seems to me you should be able to use the KL25H. I don’t know the size of your reel, but for larger reels in order to get a nice straight line from the spool to the stripper just push the stripper further out, say 25” to 28”. I know that the Fuji KR GPS calculates the reduction train length by multiplying the distance from the stripper to the tip by a factor of about 0.42, so your reduction train would be somewhere around 36”. However, you can also use a reduction train length approximately the same length as the stripper to spool length. So experiment with a reduction train length from about 27 to 36”. Hope this makes sense, but that is how I would start.
Norm

Date: October 30, 2018 11:18PM

Sorry, dbl post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 11:22PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2018 11:18PM

Herb,

No politics nor religion here. Thanks.

Date: October 31, 2018 12:39AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to admit I have not made a surf rod since
> the KR concept has been out. With that being said,
> since the KL25H is the same height as the RV 25,
> and the RV 25 is routinely used on surf rods it
> seems to me you should be able to use the KL25H. I
> don’t know the size of your reel, but for larger
> reels in order to get a nice straight line from
> the spool to the stripper just push the stripper
> further out, say 25” to 28”. I know that the
> Fuji KR GPS calculates the reduction train length
> by multiplying the distance from the stripper to
> the tip by a factor of about 0.42, so your
> reduction train would be somewhere around 36”.
> However, you can also use a reduction train length
> approximately the same length as the stripper to
> spool length. So experiment with a reduction train
> length from about 27 to 36”. Hope this makes
> sense, but that is how I would start.
> Norm

Why would i change from the KL-H 25 to a KL 25 , the KL 25 H is not as tall . The spool diameter is huge 76 mm . My post was just to let everyone know that KL-H guides can be used outside of the KR setup guidelines very successfully since there is so many different heights and ring sizes to choose from .

Where i test cast is on one side of a very wide section of the Intracoastal waterway and all previous results over the years were always about 3/4 of the way across the waterway . Well everything changed with this guide setup , my jaw hit the ground when every cast completely cleared the entire waterway i freaked out lol. It is just a 3 guide reduction train , a KL-H 25 - KL-H 10M -- 5.5M are the three reduction train guides i chose and i'm using KT 5 's as runners . Stripper is set way out at 34" , total reduction guide length is 35"

Remember, this reel has a very large spool 76 mm .

Apologize to Tom about the politics.

Date: October 31, 2018 01:00PM

Herb, I did say 25 KL-H by using the term KL25H, means exactly the same thing. It is still a KR set up even though the stripper is pushed farther out, you are still using high frame small ring guides for the reduction train and small low profile guides as runners, and you are doing a rapid choke. What I was trying to do was to give a little extra insight into how one would start to set up a surf rod KR train without having done one before. The KRGPS does not list large reels, so it is semi-useless for getting stripper distances for surf rods. One should realize that for a given stripper height, the larger the reel the further out one pushes the stripper. A point I was trying to make was that there are two very good ways for dertermining the reduction train length. One is to measure the distance from the stripper to the tip and multiply it by .42. The second is to use approximately the same distance as the spool to the stripper distance. None of these distances are written in stone, but they give a good starting point from which you can test for performance. I did not know they made a KL10M are you sure you are not using a KL10H or KL12H? There is a lot of leeway in setting up a KR guide train, and braid is very forgiving. One thing for certain, a KR guide train performs extremely well. One of the reasons I use it.
Norm

Date: October 31, 2018 01:23PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, I did say 25 KL-H by using the term KL25H,
> means exactly the same thing. It is still a KR
> set up even though the stripper is pushed farther
> out, you are still using high frame small ring
> guides for the reduction train and small low
> profile guides as runners, and you are doing a
> rapid choke. What I was trying to do was to give a
> little extra insight into how one would start to
> set up a surf rod KR train without having done one
> before. The KRGPS does not list large reels, so it
> is semi-useless for getting stripper distances for
> surf rods. One should realize that for a given
> stripper height, the larger the reel the further
> out one pushes the stripper. A point I was trying
> to make was that there are two very good ways for
> dertermining the reduction train length. One is to
> measure the distance from the stripper to the tip
> and multiply it by .42. The second is to use
> approximately the same distance as the spool to
> the stripper distance. None of these distances are
> written in stone, but they give a good starting
> point from which you can test for performance. I
> did not know they made a KL10M are you sure you
> are not using a KL10H or KL12H? There is a lot of
> leeway in setting up a KR guide train, and braid
> is very forgiving. One thing for certain, a KR
> guide train performs extremely well. One of the
> reasons I use it.
> Norm

You are correct Norm it's a KL 10 H not an M my mistake . Thanks for the input always appreciated. Yes, the KR GPS doesn't come close to giving layout info on my reel since it's very large in spool diameter and the results it did show typing in the largest spool diameter it offers which is a 5000 size spool show a distance of around 21 " for the stripper location which turned out to be way too close .

That location is ideal for my smaller inshore reels ( A stradic FK 5000) but not a spool diameter double that size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 01:29PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 01, 2018 10:40AM

Fuji would recommend defaulting back to an NGC layout for a surf rod but I gotta say - a LOT of surf rod builders are successfully applying the KR principals to larger rods with stories similar to yours, Herb.

Date: November 01, 2018 02:28PM

I built my last 12 foot surf rod using the NGC and it was a solid performer but it was missing that "Cannon blast" type performance i was used to in the past . This new one with the KL-H guides is out of this world amazing with explosive performance .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 01, 2018 06:26PM

I am thinking about replacing the guides on an 20-year-old 10' St. Croix factory-built surf blank. There is nothing wrong with them but I look for maximum performance. All else being the same, how much measurable improvement can I expect from any make, model, or priced replacement guide train? 15%? 10%?

Date: November 01, 2018 08:27PM

It's all about the line choice Phil , what type of line and what test determines guide and spacing for me and to a lesser extent spool diameter . I noticed a very dramatic improvement in performance by choosing smaller ring sizes at the proper heights and i have fished the surf for over 20 years using 12 pound mono then when braid came out i have always much preferred 14 pound and below . The 14 pound has an actually breaking strength very close to 35 pounds than 14 as it's listed .

I have always found heavier braid to be completely unnecessary and a real performance killer so i never use it but to each their own. If you're the type that doesn't fish heavy braid the performance advantages can be dramatic even up to 20 pound braid which is still thin enough to see a very obvious performance increase compared to spooling up with 40 - 50 pound.

I decided to go with a size 30 stripper on my last build and used the same reel and line on that build also and the performance was not near as impressive as it is with this new one , smaller rings at the proper height give a very dramatic performance boost the key is too find what size will work with your specific line choice and reel specifics .

This build over my last one i would say clearly at least a 20% improvement and the last one was built correctly the difference was the last one used larger ring sizes but all were at the proper height .

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 02, 2018 09:24AM

I forgot to mention This is a bait fishing rod and I use a conventional reel on it, a Slosh-30 loaded with a 150 yard #20 mono topshot knotted to a couple hundred yards of #20 braid backing. I find a conventional reel a better tool than a spinning reel for fishing and fighting fish in the surf here in Florida.

Date: November 02, 2018 12:24PM

"This is a bait fishing rod and I use a conventional reel on it"

I see ...........well that certainly throws a wrench into everything i said in my previous post , i'm going to have refer your question to someone who has experience with conventional reels as i do not .

Apologies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster