I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shrink tubing, coasters and surf rods.
Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2018 04:50PM

My latest rod build is a Hatteras heaver - about 13', carbon fiber, 22mm diameter at the butt. For the handle I want to do a solid length of shrink tubing (that 'x' pattern stuff from Mudhole) to keep the lower part of the blank protected and so that I can use coasters to mount a conventional reel wherever I want (high-reel, low-reel, etc.).

Being as paranoid as I am about a carbon fiber rod, I want to add extra support in areas where I want to potentially mount the reel. My first idea was to do a long wrap with thread (leaving it un-epoxied should I want to remove it some day) in these areas and put the shrink tubing over it. Turns out shrink tubing slides around and twists on the thread-wrapped surface so the reel doesn't stay put totally. Here are my questions...

1. Do I even need extra support aside from the naked carbon fiber blank with shrink tubing over it? My big fear is crushing the blank with the coasters.

2. If support is needed, is there an unobtrusive, level, sturdy material that I can put under the shrink tubing? This might be just as simple as putting electrical tape over the thread wrapping I described earlier. Would electrical tape stop the twisting/sliding problem?

Any other solution you guys can come up with would be appreciated too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shrink tubing, coasters and surf rods.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2018 06:08PM

The best that shrink tubing, cord or cork tape will do is provide a slight cushion for the coasters to sit up thereby perhaps requiring less clamping pressure be used to prevent slippage. None of these handle items themselves will provide any additional crush resistance to the blank.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 08:57PM

Another option,is to build up the potential handle area with cork tape or cord,covering with the shrink tubing then using one of the adjustable graphite seats that Mudhole is clearing out. They adjust along the blank and tighten where desire. They fit between 28 and 30mm. Thus,the need to add something between the seat and blank. Not just for cushioning,but gap fitting as well.

Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 30, 2018 09:02PM

Thanks! Are we thinking that coasters on a carbon fiber rod is a bad idea?

Date: October 31, 2018 02:48AM

If those are what I believe they are,ie; fancy zip ties,then yes. Not a great idea without something acting as a barrier,or cushion between the reel and the blank.

Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: October 31, 2018 11:07PM

There are fancy zip tie ones, and then also fancy hose clamp type ones.

"Not a great idea without something acting as a barrier, or cushion between the reel and the blank."

Would the shrink tubing I mentioned be enough?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 11:35PM by Matthew Tuers.

Date: November 01, 2018 10:48AM

I seriously doubt it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster