I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss application
Posted by: James Bare (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2018 02:01PM

I have read about using makeup sponges to apply the permagloss to a rod blank. Does it matter what kind and could someone post a picture so I know what I am looking for?
Thanks,
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss application
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 03:43PM

James

Do an Amazon search for makeup wedges to see pictures.

I don't know about Permagloss. I do know not all makeup wedges are equal if you cut spar with naphtha - some wedges will dissolve and make an awful mess and some work well. Moral is test the wedges on scrape first.

Go to most any place that sells cosmetics to buy them. Super cheat at Dollar General.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 04:52PM

The major paint stores sell wedge foam brushes that will stand up to solvents.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 04:55PM

[www.globalindustrial.com]

This type should work for what you want to do.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 06:00PM

I have used the Kroger brand round cosmetic sponges with great success but my store discontinued them, but they still sell the wedges. I recently tried using cheese cloth and it worked very well, it is lint free so it doesn’t leave any lint behind. Some others on this site use coffee filters, which are also lint free. I agree with Donald that not all cosmetic sponges are equal, same can be said for foam paint brushes, I use the ones with the wooden handles. So what ever you use test it first on a junk piece of rod.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 07:17PM

I use a grey paint sponge brush, the reason is I think it holds more finish so I don't have to stop which I think lets the Permagloss start to set up catching the brush on the blank and leaving smears and streaks. It dries fast so you have to be quick with full non - stop strokes butt to tip.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 30, 2018 07:31PM

Permagloss will attack almost everything. Foam brushes will soften while using.
I've said this before - many times:

Permagloss is extremely hazardous to use - especially indoors.

Unless you don't mind losing some brain cells and lung tissue - use a MMM respirator - even out of doors.
Herb

Posted by: James Bare (---.dyn6.twc.com)
Date: November 02, 2018 11:36PM

Thanks for all the replies, I'll pick up some paint brushes to use and keep looking for the makeup sponges. Like everything else I'll have to experiment and see what works best for me. I'll check out one of those respirators too while I am at it.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 03, 2018 01:02AM

The extremely fine cells of cosmetic pads produce a vastly better ultimate finish than the more open cells found in typical sponge brushes.
Contrary to Herbs findings, none of the cosmetic pads I have used with PG have had issues breaking-down. However, acknowledge and follow Herb’s precautions regarding the use of PG. The xylene in PG is extremely nasty stuff!!! The product works very well but wear a suit of armor while applying.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 03, 2018 01:09PM

I only wear nitrile gloves when applying PG. I think most of my brain cells are intact except for the normal wear and tear due to age.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 03, 2018 04:38PM

Any time that toxic chemicals are used, it works well, if you have to do it indoors is to open a window and have a fan behind you to blow the fumes out of doors - rather than letting them settle in the room where you are working.

Also, a rebreather mask works well to breathe air that is not in the room.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster