I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crooked rod blanks
Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: October 28, 2018 11:09AM

I just received two rod blanks that concern me a little .These are 3 piece IM 6 2wts . Granted they are not Sage or Winston but still have been good blanks for me . The first one has a tip with a bend in it . I can see it when sighting down the blank .

The second one has two bends in it . They are not as pronounced as the tip on the first one . My question is , should I spine these blanks and ignore the bends or do a straight axis and put the eyes on top of the bends or try to send them back for a refund ?

I'm building these for myself and a friend if that matters any . As always , TIA .

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crooked rod blanks
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: October 28, 2018 11:36AM

I hate to assume,so if you haven't already done so,I would contact the seller regarding their return policy. If the seller doesn't accept returns,the build the one with the tip bend on the straightest axis. The other I would save for doing experrimental wraps on,or something else. Like using different thread colors with,and without color preservers and so on.
Additionally,BEFORE building them,I would put a good bend in them as to simulate the actual use of the rod in the real world. It's better to have it break in your shop before investing time and materials in the build. That also minimizes the potential for an upset customer or yourself.
In the case of the seller not accepting returns: find a better supplier.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 28, 2018 12:20PM

Bends can happen in any rod blank, if you think about it you have a slim steel mandrel you iron a piece of graphite to, than roll it at heavy pressure to get everything to stick together tightly. This is compounded by everything being tapered, so the table has to roll the tip the same amount of revolutions as the butt. See how you could get a bend not even accounting for slippage, etc? Don't ask me how you'd staighten it after the fact.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: October 28, 2018 12:37PM

Well I contacted the seller and he offered to refund for both kits . I declined as I can build one using sections from the two . One refund I think is fair . As always , thanks for your inputs .

Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster